High Altitude Problem

Guys, I am wondering. What can be done with the Natural Aspirated engines at high altitude levels ? The Clio went for a dyno and the results came back to 111kw because of me being 4400ft above sea level ?

These guys with Turbos really kill me .

Mods :
Double Decat
RSTuning SW remap
K&N flat panel filter.

Thanks Peeps

I wouldn't have thought an altitude of 4400ft would make that much of a a difference, that's about 149bhp isn't it?

A quick calc shows about a 25hp loss at that altitude, which only puts your car at 174bhp.

Are you sure there isn't something else wrong with the car? Timing maybe?

As for what you can do - well nothing much, other that forced induction, but even then they are still affected by altitude.

So that's 1400m, I wouldn't expect the car to be affected so badly, I'd make sure everything is good with my engine first.

Altitude does affect our cars quite massively, all cars in fact. I'm doing the Alps every year and my car seriously underperforms, not at that altitude though, mostly around 3000m.

I'm under the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the map tries to compensate for the lack of oxygen by running richer than normal, still wouldn't be able to work miracles though.

Not personally but if you speak to locals who have driven down to Cape Town with the car they will attest to it. Feels like a totally different car. Ask any super rugby team how tough Ellis Park is in the final 15minutes. I'm a amateur soccer player and when I went to jhb I could feel that I wouldn't be able to play 90 minutes. Hence the Megane rs is so popular in jhb