Hi guys speed awareness course

It's boring Kevin, I'll be honest.

It's basically a detention from school days. In my experience, you all sit down a class room and it's a 2-3 hour long powerpoint presentation. A refresher driving lesson kind of thing. They also go for scare tactics with how many people have died speeding and all that.

- Will

I did one 5 years ago, was all right, more laughing at some of the others their excuses, who swore blind there shouldnt have been there. Excuses like the Sat Nav didnt warn me there was a camera and, the 80 year old woman who thought the sign was wrong. Wouldnt bother me to go to another one if I had to, nothing to worry about.

I did one a couple of months ago. 4 hours in a classroom basically, quite boring but better than points.
It was quite surprising how many people on the course didn't know basic stuff such as motorway speed limits etc.

I think it depends on your area with regards to course length, ive seen them half day and also full day

Quite boring but they do open your eyes a tad to speeding etc

Yeah 3 hours of being spoken down to, no test at the end.

Get to learn speed limits by the distance between lamp posts. Quite informative, but the only real fact I learnt which is a bit controversial is that ABS actually increases your braking stopping distance.... However it is deemed safer as it reduces the risk of sliding.

I've got one the 18th of this month. 4 hours long. Suppose it's better than points though.
And on the ABS question, it does increase your braking distance because you are modulating the brakes so the car comes off them and back on to keep grip. But they are safer because you can dive around the accident. Which is great as long as you CAN avoid it.

The abs is a subjective answer. Your wheels need to be turning to have maximum grip, so technically if you slam on without abs you can slide further then using abs.

Of course the counter argument is the emergency stop is done without locking the wheels.

Similar Thread Suggestions