HELP! Clio 197 is driving me INSANEEEE!

Basically on Friday morning i noticed the center console display was fading a little and the starter motor was a bit whimsy...

Come end of work Friday and the car wont start, ended up having to use jump leads and another to start it, After a 30 minute drive i stopped to get some petrol to find the car wouldn't start again so i had to get someone to bump it.

I'm guessing the altenator didn't have enough time to charge the battery back up... or there's another issue?

So today i've just been to disconnect the battery as i'll need to charge it up so i can get to work tomorrow/buy a new battery however my socket wrench is a bit too small so might have to run a power cable outside to charge which i still plan to do but... after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the car now seems to be having a complete hissy fit and has hazards going constant if batteries connected

Please see below video, has anyone got any ideas!?

https://goo.gl/photos/we8YuYTyn5gBVNgh9

UPDATE

New battery seems to have got it started/driving again

Thanks for your help, i did however experience something very weird when driving the 45 minute drive to work...

Basically as i was driving all the power cut out for 3 seconds, lost power steering and all my lights but it came back on
swear.gif

Any ideas to what that might be? My ex mechanic friends going to have a look at lunch so hopefully it was just a glitch in the Matrix...

LATEST UPDATE

So far so good.. went out for a drive on lunch and no problems, going to get a multi-meter on it tomorrow to double check all is fine.

Last edited:
not seen anything like this but maybe a new battery will fix this..the car may behave strange when there is not enough juice to power it...
hope it gets sorted mate

Still low/flat to be honest, Going to try and get myself a longer let of socket wrenchs so i can actually get it out and give it a proper charge!

Still low/flat to be honest, Going to try and get myself a longer let of socket wrenchs so i can actually get it out and give it a proper charge!

Bingo.

Bet that the issue 100%. Hence the question.

Now if thats a battery or alternator problem is another question altogether.

It's the original OEM one by the looks of it so i'm guessing it hasn't been swapped!

UPDATE:
Cycled to Halfrauds :headphone: and the batteries now out and on charge.
Will give it about 4 hours or so and connect everything up and try again with fingers and toes crossed :wiz:

Any recommendations on replacement batteries if this manages to get me to work tomorrow!?

Last edited:
Hi mate a knackered battery with play havoc with the electrics! My alternator packed it in last December and in turn finished the battery! I took the alternator off and the electrician in work re con it for £25. Still going strong. If you get it running put a volt meter across the battery see if you are getting above 14 volts .

LATEST UPDATE

New battery seems to have got it started/driving again

Thanks for your help, i did however experience something very weird when driving the 45 minute drive to work...

Basically as i was driving all the power cut out for 3 seconds, lost power steering and all my lights but it came back on :swear:

Any ideas to what that might be? My ex mechanic friends going to have a look at lunch so hopefully it was just a glitch in the Matrix...

Dead OEM battery!

My battery charger either didn't charge it or the battery was fully deaded... Would have liked to think a battery light or warning would have come up but maybe i'm too used to PC's/Servers and not cars!

Replacement battery revived the car, still don't know why all the power cut out when driving to work after replacing but it's been fine since, had about 3 hours driving since then with no problem **touches wooden table**.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update [MENTION=54192]p3nn[/MENTION] and glad to hear you got the problem sorted.

We will leave the thread open as it may well be of use to someone down the line :smile: