headlight bulbs h1 or h7 ?? phillips xtreme power or ring xenon max ultima ?

chris1888-197

Paid Member
hi all, can anyone tell me if the headlight bulbs on a 197 are h1 or h7 ? any preference on phillips xtreme power or ring xenon max ultima bulbs ? cheers

Which headlights do you have?

Reflector or projector?

I have the Phillips Extreme bulbs and they are much better than standard.

Sorry to hijack this thread, Am i right in thinking that the projector units on a non sport will take H1 bulbs?

Ordering some HID's tonight and just wanting to make sure 100% they'll fit!

The light output is pretty good. I had the ring xenon max first time round as the ultima weren't out then. Xenon max only lasted 6 months though. The xenon max did look a bit whiter than the standard ones and the ultima are whiter still. They are definitely NOT a blue ish colour. I've got ring rally sport 100w for main beam (h7 also). My brother has some "Osram nightbreaker plus" in and they're good and are 'supposed' to last well. Still, I wish I had xenons like my 182 did :-(

The light output is pretty good. I had the ring xenon max first time round as the ultima weren't out then. Xenon max only lasted 6 months though. The xenon max did look a bit whiter than the standard ones and the ultima are whiter still. They are definitely NOT a blue ish colour. I've got ring rally sport 100w for main beam (h7 also). My brother has some "Osram nightbreaker plus" in and they're good and are 'supposed' to last well. Still, I wish I had xenons like my 182 did :-(

same mate, wish i had the xenons too like my 172. cheers for the info

sorry if i was misleading in the first post, i assumed you had projectors for some reason hence why i wrote h1 but it's h7 for reflectors. give the m tec bulbs a try, i had many different bulbs, osrams, blue visions, etc but m tec are the closest to HID i have found

sorry if i was misleading in the first post, i assumed you had projectors for some reason hence why i wrote h1 but it's h7 for reflectors. give the m tec bulbs a try, i had many different bulbs, osrams, blue visions, etc but m tec are the closest to HID i have found

Do you have a link to the ones you have ollie I've searched and had quite a few choices for mtec bulbs??!! :smile:

Just come across this thread.
What would you recommend for bulbs if I am after a blue tinge to the lights but want to keep it road legal?
I have seen loads of bulbs with the tip painted blue and know they are just rubbish.
Any recomendations?

Just come across this thread.
What would you recommend for bulbs if I am after a blue tinge to the lights but want to keep it road legal?
I have seen loads of bulbs with the tip painted blue and know they are just rubbish.
Any recomendations?

The ones that Ollie has suggested sound like a blue colour when you read the write-up on the link. I'd quite like some that are a bit more 'blue' than the ones I have now, but I'm concerned about the light output being crappy due to the colour. They might look cool, but lights arn't much good if you can't see in the dark.

Last edited:
Using Phillips Diamond Vision I am.

I did do a comparison thread on these with standard bulbs. Should be still on here somewhere.

i ended u putting the ring xenon max ultima bulbs on my 197 and have to say they are excellent. kept a standard bulb in one side and ring xenon max ultima in the other to compare and there is big difference. they dont have a blue tinge- more white, but the light output at night is really good.