Hard track driving vibrations through brake pedal

Hi all,

Had my first track day today which was fantastic fun.

One issue which arised was after a couple of laps was that the brake pedal which would vibrate at around 50% pressure. Almost like the ABS was kicking in however it wasn't.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks

Did you do any cooldown laps? Maybe you parked up when the brakes were hot and caused some kind of minor warping/hot spot.

When were the discs/pads/brakes last serviced/replaced?

Hey,

Yep always doing my cool down laps and leaving it in gear when parked up.

The car had it's brakes done (new pads and disks) 18 months ago or so.

Just seems odd it happens when the brakes are working hard.

A

What pads are they ? If race material have they been bedded in correctly ?

Had similar issues with DS2500's leaving deposits on the disks that could only be removed by having the disks skimmed

Reactions: tombate911
As Paul says, I bet it will be pad material transfer. Standard pads or even mild upgrade like DS2500 are no good for track and can leave deposits that cause vibration. It will clear, but will take a few miles, otherwise skim the disc.

Slightly off topic but what pads would you recommend then for a road car that does track days?

I found carbotech XP10 better than DS1.11. all three are very good.
We tried XP10's and they were ok until on one occasion at a wet Oulton Chris locked a front and guess what - mega brake vibration, only option was to skim the disks. We fitted DS1.11 after that.

The only pad we have used long term that hasn't given any issues is the RS29.

Reactions: john_walker74
We tried XP10's and they were ok until on one occasion at a wet Oulton Chris locked a front and guess what - mega brake vibration, only option was to skim the disks. We fitted DS1.11 after that.

The only pad we have used long term that hasn't given any issues is the RS29.

Which one would you recommend for road + track use most, mate? I do loads of driving for work but wouldn't really mind a bit of squeaks / noise much (unless they're at a ridiculous level) so could be slightly more track oriented than road.

I've had DS2500's installed together with braided lines and uprated brake fluid a few months ago. They slightly cracked after 3 hours of track driving (I thought I was overly gentle on brakes whilst on track!!!) and car began to pull left on hard braking since. My garage couldn't find any issue and advised to replace all pads. I'll do another track day before I replace them as they're still on 70% if not more and I'm looking to find a make / model that won't cause these issues. Cheers.

Cracked pads is pretty common after hard track use

My personal choice would be RS29 but they don't come cheap, DS1.11 would probably be my second choice. Just make sure you bed them in as per the manufacturers instructions.

Reactions: wattson