Handbrake again

Ok so 3 weeks ago it stuck on for a couple minutes. Been ok since so I want advice on if it was one off, cold weather I dunno.
Getting it looked at tomorrow but your thoughts would be welcome.
Ignore it??

Ok so 3 weeks ago it stuck on for a couple minutes. Been ok since so I want advice on if it was one off, cold weather I dunno.
Getting it looked at tomorrow but your thoughts would be welcome.
Ignore it??
Were the brakes hot when you parked it up originally? It could be the pads sticking or the calipers knackered. Was it both sides sticking?

The cold weather can make them stick, it happens to mine a lot, usually when it's been wet too. There's certainly no harm in getting the handbrake cables checked to see if they are still releasing the calipers properly.

When mine properly seized on I had to call the RAC. He showed me that the cables weren't releasing properly. They ended up needing replacing due to wear with age.

It was at work after a shift. Only a 2 mile journey in too. On a slight hill so I may have just been guilty of yanking on it too much lol.
I'm going to observe tomorrow and make sure they don't yank my chain :wink:
Thanks guys.
Ps it wasnt budging at all so unsure of sides.

little tip...

if you have the brakes serviced yearly ie strip down and clean/lub etc when the rears are apart you can unhook the cables and then push them in/out of the outer casing to make sure they are free..

also over adjusted cables on the calipers can cause issues - the cables should only be adjusted once the pads are fitted and the pads pushed in to contact with the disc several times - some places over adjust the cables and cause the caliper handbrake arms to not return to their stops when the handbrake is full off

Reactions: Chris
Thankyou. I'll see what the verdict is tomorrow. Think I'll get them to clean the brakes anyway. Is a non RS garage ok doing this?

So it was a really good decision I took to cancel one garage who were just going to replace a cable without looking at the car and go back to an old skool garage. Where they are honest, reliable and cheao. Decision taken by them to remove the wheel and check the cable, try free it up. It's not fully going back on one side. Failing that then a replacement. Will also clean the brakes too. Had an honest conversation with the guy with him saying how tired he is to hear other garages trying to take advantage of people, especially women. Oh and if just a case of freeing cable up, it's only half hour job at £20. Can't grumble. Reckon they'll be doing the work from now on. :smile:

Good to hear you've got to the bottom of it, and from a decent sounding garage as well - not easy to find these days.

Reactions: LOCKE
So it was a really good decision I took to cancel one garage who were just going to replace a cable without looking at the car and go back to an old skool garage. Where they are honest, reliable and cheao. Decision taken by them to remove the wheel and check the cable, try free it up. It's not fully going back on one side. Failing that then a replacement. Will also clean the brakes too. Had an honest conversation with the guy with him saying how tired he is to hear other garages trying to take advantage of people, especially women. Oh and if just a case of freeing cable up, it's only half hour job at £20. Can't grumble. Reckon they'll be doing the work from now on. :smile:
This guy seems genuine. Fingers crossed it's a cheap an easy fix.

Reactions: shells2074
Good to hear you've got to the bottom of it, and from a decent sounding garage as well - not easy to find these days.
I know. He's well sound. I find the older guys more honest. Said I should have reported the last one for trying to rob me.

Buy him some choccies for Xmas then.....

I make sure i look after mine (Mechanic that is :smile: ) He's always looked after me and is more inclined too if i always treat him well. IF you love your car that much - making sure he's 'right' is good insurance in my book.....

Not easy to find a good one either is it !!!

Reactions: Jimmy
Buy him some choccies for Xmas then.....

I make sure i look after mine (Mechanic that is :smile: ) He's always looked after me and is more inclined too if i always treat him well. IF you love your car that much - making sure he's 'right' is good insurance in my book.....

Not easy to find a good one either is it !!!
No its not at all. I've found a lot of garages reel you in and do a good job once or twice then they try pulling wool over eyes. Steer clear of RSC Accrington. I left a review of their shadiness in polite terms and they blocked me.
I'll buy this guy some chocs:smile:

Reactions: sevenfourate
£15 and they've released the cable. If happens again then I'll need a new one. Happy with that and feels way sturdier than was.

Reactions: LOCKE
£15 and they've released the cable. If happens again then I'll need a new one. Happy with that and feels way sturdier than was.

Good news, Shelly, and for a good price too! The cables aren't too expensive, when and if you do need to change them.