Golf mk7, Steve Sutcliffe

Yiannis197

Paid Member
So, VW says that the new Golf GTi has found its mojo!

Loads of techonlogy as expected, a first time revolutionary electronically operated mechanical diff (cough Renault cough), variable ratio - ultra quick - rack (2 turns lock to lock only??? brilliant), revised suspension etc.

As a result all the understeer has been tuned out and according to SS the front bite is immense! All I have to say is...interesting! Still don't like the looks though, so common.

And it also comes with 3 doors and manual...Renault please pay attention.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/volkswagen-golf-gti-mk7-video-review

I actually quite like that, which I never really thought I would say about a Golf.

Seems to be a step in the right direction.
I bet you still can't turn the traction control off completely though!

£980 for 10bhp, electronically controlled (mechanical) LSD, bigger brakes. :clap:

Looks great too, and every review I've read so far says the new model is brilliant. It seems like VW have done a bang on job of this. The problem for me is I no longer see the Golf GTI as a drivers performance car. Generally when I see someone in a Focus ST/Megane RS/Astra VXR I presume they're a car enthusiast and so pay the extra for something they'll enjoy. When I see a Golf GTI I presume they walked in to the dealership and just bought the most expensive Golf. I'm probably wrong for thinking it, but I can't help it.

So, VW says that the new Golf GTi has found its mojo!

Loads of techonlogy as expected, a first time revolutionary electronically operated mechanical diff (cough Renault cough), variable ratio - ultra quick - rack (2 turns lock to lock only??? brilliant), revised suspension etc.

As a result all the understeer has been tuned out and according to SS the front bite is immense! All I have to say is...interesting! Still don't like the looks though, so common.

And it also comes with 3 doors and manual...Renault please pay attention.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/volkswagen-golf-gti-mk7-video-review

they will ignore you and ask their other customers....:coffee:

£980 for 10bhp, electronically controlled (mechanical) LSD, bigger brakes. :clap:

Looks great too, and every review I've read so far says the new model is brilliant. It seems like VW have done a bang on job of this. The problem for me is I no longer see the Golf GTI as a drivers performance car. Generally when I see someone in a Focus ST/Megane RS/Astra VXR I presume they're a car enthusiast and so pay the extra for something they'll enjoy. When I see a Golf GTI I presume they walked in to the dealership and just bought the most expensive Golf. I'm probably wrong for thinking it, but I can't help it.

not one for options but that one at that cost is a "must have" :wiz:

Seems to be a step in the right direction.
I bet you still can't turn the traction control off completely though!

You can turn off the TC and ESP off on the mk6 GTI and R if its MY12. Press and hold TC button for 5 seconds and everything deactivates except XDS and ABS

not one for options but that one at that cost is a "must have" :wiz:

Yeah, total must have for £980 I'd say. Noticed someone in the comments section in there saying they should give out red GTI badges for the performance pack cars too, which I thought would be a nice touch.

Interestingly the review in this months Evo suggests that the Mk6 GTi is more fun to drive. A truimph of fancy pants technology over seat of your pants entertainment?

I saw the new Gti testing at the Ring yesterday along with another covered up golf which looked and sounded like the new Golf R :smile: I have to say both were very quick!!

A truimph of fancy pants technology over seat of your pants entertainment?

Well the driving pleasure sacrifice by this blend of technology is a bit unavoidable. However the car does look quick and according to SS the driver is not detached from it. Good steering and non intrusive electronics take the credit for this I believe, but you can't really tell until you drive one.

Very good package though, shame that the rear is like an Audi but thumps up to VW for keeping the hot hatch standards (3 door, manual). That shows - and goes against the people who say times change, people change, live with 5 doors, live with automatic etc - that there is a market out there for these cars. And VW just proved it. People want to buy manual, 3 door hatches. Why not offering it? Fair enough for the turbocharged engine, I can live with a 1.6T lump but...

I stick to what I've said in the very beginning, Renault got it wrong with the new RS, they did. They definitely haven't reinvented the wheel with their e-diff and their (apparently) not that good gearbox with dodgy ratios. I can't help but thinking that if the new Clio was manual (less 40kgs at least) and 3 door it would have been a brilliant car! But hey, what do I know...

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions