Give me any good reasons...

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
To stay in this over taxed, over worked, over populated country?

(other than the monarchy, perhaps the only true British thing left in the world!)

Even my wife, who was dead against moving abroad, now wants to leave loL!!!!

We'd only be over the channel, plus down a bit, so not too far.

Will make coming to French Car Show each year a bit more of a road trip through magnificent smooth roads, on the ferry, then back on British worn torn roads complete with bomb craters!

Any good reasons then??

:swiss: :swiss: :swiss: :swiss:

VS

:uk::uk::uk::uk:

only thing that would stop me moving is family and friends!

...do it lol

My mum passed away Nov 2009, my dad moved to France, my inlaws saying do it.

Best friends/family can easily get out to the area of Switzerland we are looking at. Flight out Friday night, flight back Sunday night and it's between £45-£55 return too.

Bargain!!!!

The only things stopping me is funds. Once i have enough funds and more life experience i'm outta here!

As for voting? Why should i vote? Just another vote towards the person i think is least going to screw me over.

Mike, you live once and time is all to short; do it mate.
Don't live with what if's and but's.
If you don't like if or don't get on over there, then you can always move back or somewhere else for that mater.
If you have the opportunity to live oversea's then I would do it.

My parent lived oversea's and I was born in Gibraltar. They regret moving back here and not taking up jobs in other countries; to experience other parts of the world and live different culture's is amazing.

Life is a journey and an adventure, go for it!

What's the cost of living like there compared to over here?

I'll give you a stupid example:

Mc Donalds in Switzerland:

1.jpg

Nugget Meal is £9 in Switzerland...

Rent on a 3 bedroomed (utterly amazing) appartment is £1800, compared to about £1100 in my part of England.

HOWEVER, the pay is eye watering. So much so, that my wife wouldn't have to work. I'd get a transfer (they are looking into this now).

Income tax is lower. It depends what Canton you are in - it varies from 10% up to about 22,5% - the Canton of Zürich is where we are looking at is 12,5%.

No such thing as National Insurance, they have Health Insurance (about £350 per month for me and the wife, then you have to pay 10% of the cost of treatment too)

Despite being the most expensive country in the world, petrol IS CHEAPER THAN THE UK!

:swiss:

VAT 8% unemployment is only 2%

I read in the Economist that a lot of investment bankers are moving back to London despite the extra tax they have to pay here. Switzerland apparently although cheaper on tax was really expensive for certain commodities and there are many aspects of their economy that isn't as well developed as the UK.

Families of investment bankers are suppost to be not as happy over there and wanted to come back to London.

The UK isn't that bad, life is what you make it and there are problems in every country in the world. The problem is humanity, you can't escape it anywhere you go.

I've only been to Switzerland once, very briefly as we passed through on the way to Italy on a school trip.

I have to say it was definitely one of the most beautiful and breath taking countries I have ever been (possibly the second) and I would love to go back and spend some real time there one winter.

From what you've said Mike there really doesn't seem much of an argument for the UK!

I read in the Economist that a lot of investment bankers are moving back to London despite the extra tax they have to pay here. Switzerland apparently although cheaper on tax was really expensive for certain commodities and there are many aspects of their economy that isn't as well developed as the UK.

Families of investment bankers are suppost to be not as happy over there and wanted to come back to London.

The UK isn't that bad, life is what you make it and there are problems in every country in the world. The problem is humanity, you can't escape it anywhere you go.

There will be some down sides, no doubt about it!

But you have this on your airport train:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm5z81mnfPY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Are all Swiss girls like Heidi?

:wink:

Reasons to stay;
British cynicism
Laziness
Language barrier
Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't

Reasons to leave;
Monarchy are German
Lack of patriotism
Taxation

I think to be honest though the cost of living doesn't alter that much throughout north west Europe, our VAT is among the lowest, though our property prices are higher.

If you look further afield to the US, many things appear cheaper but there are hidden costs which level the playing field somewhat. My wife used to live in the US and initially was set on moving back, however once you more fully understand the bigger picture you can often find that the grass is not as much greener as it looks.

Another point is that they are good and bad places in every country, for example in the North there is little to dislike about Harrogate or Ilkley, they are certainly typically much better presented than Wakefield, Huddersfield, Leeds, etc. but they have their downsides too, more expensive property, poorer transport accessibility, higher council tax, to name just a few. There are always many sides to the argument.

yeh one great thing about this country.....its a "free country" so your free to leave if you dont like it :uk:

enjoy swvitzerland :swiss:

I honestly can't think of much other than the fact that the Swiss hate cars....

You enjoy it mate! Just make sure you get all the Clio owners (both of them :wink:) on the site!

Oh and let us all know about Heidi... :drool:

UK
we drive on the correct side of the road.
football is better
music is better
surfing is better
cheese is better

switzerland
skiing is better
clocks are better
penknives are better

do it while you can, not for the money that's not a good enough reason, it's a lifestyle change for the better you've got to consider.
chocolate is better

thats enough to make him go :blink:

UK
we drive on the correct side of the road.
football is better
music is better
surfing is better
cheese is better

switzerland
skiing is better
clocks are better
penknives are better

do it while you can, not for the money that's not a good enough reason, it's a lifestyle change for the better you've got to consider.
chocolate is better

deffinately go for the life style change - but dont burn any bridges - you may not actually like it when there!

doesn't switzerland (particularly zurich) have the highest suicide rate?

apparently once you've 'made it' in switzerland theres no more to aspire to

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Roy General Chat 1