Generic "what's this sound" post

Alternator maybe. Mine does that when cold then dissapears after 20mins or so

Alternator maybe. Mine does that when cold then dissapears after 20mins or so

Yeah my dad suggest potentially alternator... had my work colleague have a listen out, doesn't seem to reside from the engine bay, seemingly underneath which makes me think exhaust related if anything!

Been a week for sounds, now noticing a clunk like sound in the direction of the passenger footwell slightly after the clutch pedal has been fully release, only noticeable when pottering around town in 1st / 2nd!

Get me in for my service, she needs some loving and fettling!!!

Clank in passenger footwell could be a snapped spring or bent anti-roll bar?

Ever such a subtle clunk, just after a gear change slowly pulling away/stopping! hopefully the service checks will identify any problems in that sense!

Should be in next week (when Renault finally get back to me with a date!) shall post all findings after!

Reactions: Dystant
Ever such a subtle clunk, just after a gear change slowly pulling away/stopping! hopefully the service checks will identify any problems in that sense!

Should be in next week (when Renault finally get back to me with a date!) shall post all findings after!

Fingers crossed it's nothing major mate :thumb:

Have you got the power flex lower Engine mount and torque arm bushes? Might be time to invest Ross. Holds everything together tighter

Have you got the power flex lower Engine mount and torque arm bushes? Might be time to invest Ross. Holds everything together tighter

I've done my fair share of googling, points in the direction of mounts as well! All parts on the car are Renault to date, so could well be a case of replacement parts needed. Heard power flex is the way forward when it comes to engine mounts

Reactions: Dystant
I've done them recently and makes a noticeable difference to how little the Engine moves and how precise the gear changes are. Highly recommend them. Only down side is that you will need to turn radio even louder as a few vibrations start happening!
They do settle down after a little while

I've done my fair share of googling, points in the direction of mounts as well! All parts on the car are Renault to date, so could well be a case of replacement parts needed. Heard power flex is the way forward when it comes to engine mounts

I'd start with the powerflex upper torque arm bush and see how you get on :smile:

Worth noting the initial vibrations do settle down a lot after 500 miles or so :thumb:

Finally got the car booked in for a service at Renault on Tuesday next week, I made sure the guy I spoke to on the phone noted down all my niggles! Squealing seeming more like the alternator pulley, I'm only plodding around town until then but I've read some horror stories of them snapping and getting wedged into the cambelt!

Shall post my findings when I get her back Tuesday afternoon.

Best of luck with it all Ross. Hopefully nothing bad will happen in the meantime, best to be cautious though! We all know our cars well and can usually tell if something's 'not quite right'. Always satisfying to get the little wrinkles ironed out too!

Reactions: RossWoods93
So just picked the Clio up after it's service, and was told that everything's perfectly fine! Was £185 overall, which included an oil change (despite having done one myself in the last few thousand miles!)

I pitched the question about the squeal noise as I'd sent the video to them a few weeks back and apparently nobody had an idea (saying that the noise has disappeared for now... here's to hoping!)

Only thing left to concern me is the knock/clunk like sound at slow speeds after the gear is engaged, maybe it's worth looking at local garages who will check arm links / engine mounts etc!

Either way Renault say everything's healthy, which is good for my wallet, but on the other hand I kind of wanted them to find something!

Your clunk when you pull away most likely will be the shock top mount the rubber splits and a metal inner cup hits to outer metal ring which the mounting bolts go through the rubber should keep them apart. The red arrow shows the split
IMG_0263.jpg
It will be most noticeable creeping in traffic, Sounds a bit daft but to recreate the noise open the door sand on the door sill and push your weight up and down hard you should hear a creaking a second person with their ear at the scuttle cover should be able to narrow it down to the top of the front shocks.
I replaced both of mine with a SKF kit (mounts + bearings)£60
IMG_0262.jpg

Thanks Turkie, I'll check this out when I have a second pair of eyes with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news that it was a trouble-free service in the end Ross! I can understand you still being wary that nothing was found though - we know our cars well enough to know when something doesn't sound like it should! Fingers crossed all will be ok.

Reactions: RossWoods93
@RossWoods93 Did you ever get to the bottom of the noises?

Hi Jim,

The squeal disappeared only a few days later, no work was done on the belts etc as I'm tackling them later on in the year. The service manager at my local Renault garage asked the technical team to look at the video, but they had no suggestions what it could be.

It almost seemed like the warmer weather may have helped? But I struggled to pinpoint what could possible cause it! Alls I can say is the following week up till now it's not done it since.

Only thing to note was I had a leak in the thermostat housing two weeks back as I was losing coolant, which I had replaced! Other than that, no work has been done to the car but the sound has disappeared.

I thought my demons were back to haunt me today! Just parked up to find quite a pool of water from the underside dripping onto the ground!

Called my dad as he has a good engineering background, labelled me 'a pillock' and that's it's merely the A/C condensing!

He did go on to say he thought he had something similar when he was working on a lorry once, and saw dripping from the underside... put his hand under it only to find out someone had took a widdle up the wheel! The pillock comment was returned!

4bd79612acca8ace57c34daa642f9891.jpg