Gearbox Oil

standard oil is a special from renault - takes about 1.8litres

go on a few oil sites it will soon come up with the spec

i used a fully synthetic from valvolene - expensive but so far been great

how do you change the gearbox oil? DIY job?

as easy as change engine oil

the gearbox has a drain plug the same as the engine (8mm square) and then on the side of the box it has a filler plug (wing nut type)

just drain off oil and fill from filler plug - easy

standard oil is a special from renault - takes about 1.8litres

go on a few oil sites it will soon come up with the spec

i used a fully synthetic from valvolene - expensive but so far been great

thanks for that. (is it this stuff you use?)

I think I read somewhere that you have to put exactly the right amount in otherwise you get some major problems....I really can't remember if it was for the 197 or some other car brand. Anything particular I should be looking out for?

thanks for that. (is it this stuff you use?)

I think I read somewhere that you have to put exactly the right amount in otherwise you get some major problems....I really can't remember if it was for the 197 or some other car brand. Anything particular I should be looking out for?

yep - thats whats in mine

as for amount of oil - when you drain it - measure it - thats what i did and i then put the same amount back in :wink:

Isn't it spill to fill so assuming your on level ground you can't technically overfill it?

it is....but if you not on level ground - when i did mine it was jacked up on the n/s as thats where the filler plug is - so to be on the safe side i put in the same amount that came out - i think the megane 6 speed box is the one of you over filling it causes problems!

some gearboxes it used to be a benefit slightly over filled - ie vauxhall 5speed box - level slightly high to stop the selector forks running dry

yeah i was told fill it till it comes out of the filler plug then quickly put the nut back in and you cant go wrong . . . . smmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooooooottttttthhhhhhhhhhhhh

Like others have said fill it until it spills. I removed the front passenger side wheel as this is the easiest way to get to the fill hole and then lowered the car down (Without the wheel) on the jack until level. The sills are pretty much level so you can put a spirit level on there.

I used fuchs titan gearbox oil from opie oils, you need just under 2 litres to completely fill it

Sorry to revive such an old post but i am searching for answers and not having much luck.

I have a 2008 Clio Sport 197 and i want to change the gearbox oil. I am aware that the correct viscosity is 75w/80 but what is the correct rating? Is it GL4 or GL5 oil that these gearboxes require?

Opie oils specifies both GL4 and GL5 rated oils so its confusing me as to what is the Renault specified rating.

Cheers,

Nick