Gearbox help

Seen loads of people on here say just how bad the gearbox actually is...

now when i was at a track day i wasnt pushing her hard whatso ever as it was my first time but something i did notice is when i was coming up to the last straight on brands hatch around the bend when i changed from (3rd-4th) or 4th to 5th.. cant remember which when i put it in gear that was a very strange noise that sounded like crunch but it was very quick and i was the only one that could seem to hear it... It was only at that point in the track and the rest of the drive it was fine... but now im worried... screw a new gearbox more than likely bang after my warrenty has gone...

How would you go about trying to get it replaced under warrenty? how does that part all work? The way i see it, it shouldnt make that sound and ive never heard it before in any other car... so quite worried!

thanks Sam

Might be nothing Sam. When giving it some on track you can slightly miss the gear causing it to crunch slightly due to cornering forces. This is quite common coming out of tight corners that continue to bend round... Just a thought

If the gear box starts crunching into 3rd/4th keep an eye on it. You can get it done under warranty if the crunching gets bad Renault will just try to give you a bit of greif. The clutch is not covered by warranty but once the gearbox is off they change the clutch for around £430 (if I remember correctly), this isn't compulsary though so if you feel you haven't give your clutch some lol you might be okay. I had 3 gearboxes and 3 clutches in mine LOL, 1 was out of the warranty period, ££££££ :worried:

Might be that then! It was coming out a fast corner! Only did it then aswell... Every time though... ! Still would be nice to get a shiney new box! :smiley: thanks for the response guys!

Oh foxy! You sure know how to worry a lad! How can I tell if it is going if it only does it at high speed?! :worried:

because its NOT doing its job....the whole point of "synchromesh" system is to synchronise the shaft speeds so the next gear can be selected

modern gearboxes are "constant mesh" ie the gears are always running together but not locked to the gearshafts - the gears are selected by moving "dog rings" that lock the gears to the shaft - unless your an expert in double-de-clutching then you need the synchromesh to slow the shafts so the dogs can lock the shaft to the gears - if not they would "crunch" and ultimately be worn away...

if working correctly and how its designed there should be no noise/crunch sound irrespective of gear selected or engine speed

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBik2C0yns[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlLHtnEVAi8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

because its NOT doing its job....the whole point of "synchromesh" system is to synchronise the shaft speeds so the next gear can be selected

modern gearboxes are "constant mesh" ie the gears are always running together but not locked to the gearshafts - the gears are selected by moving "dog rings" that lock the gears to the shaft - unless your an expert in double-de-clutching then you need the synchromesh to slow the shafts so the dogs can lock the shaft to the gears - if not they would "crunch" and ultimately be worn away...

if working correctly and how its designed there should be no noise/crunch sound irrespective of gear selected or engine speed

SO what your saying basically that, that little bit of noise i could notice is the mesh not working and therefore faulty... meaning it could get worse sooner rather than later... i played the videos, cant say i understood the mechanics although i grasped the jist, cleaver system!

Any ideas on how i would go about telling this to renault if they are going to try and stop this from being fixed... if it is faulty?

Many thanks for your time though foxy!:biggrin: