Front pad question

Hi,

Needing to change the front pads on my 197. Now I am a bit of a noob fixing/servicing cars, I am a nerd so computers are fine cars not so much!
All the local people seem to want to charge a fortune! So I thought I would be brave and give it a dig myself.

Where the best place to get some new pads? Ideally I would like OEM pads, not really looking for upgrade at the moment.

I have looked through a fair few threads and found these but they seem pretty steep.

http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-197-Brake-Pads-(Front).html

Also found these, are these any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREMBO-FR...o|Cars+Type:2.0+16V+Sport&hash=item5657c29fc3

I have also read loads of threads about the pain that is the pins, so I have PM'd Mr Pink to see if he has any of his left.

Any other recommendations for me? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

It's a nightmare job, I like to think I am a decent spanner monkey (engine swaps, rebuilds, head porting, ecu mapping etc) but took me best part of a day, cut the pins with a disc cutter and then beat the crap out of the remaining pin

I cut mine out with a hacksaw blade by hand in about 5 mins!

it is a pain in the ass if they are seized though.

On the positive side, they may not be seized. Just take your time with some suitable punches and try and release the pressure off the retaining spring holding in the pads as that doesn't help the pins either.

They're not as strong tho. Bend more easily

I don't mean to come across like a dick, but if you can't do bugger all on cars, why are you messing around with one of the most Important things on it?

Cheers for those links, will order those up. They work out about a quarter of what I have been quoted for parts alone.

Hopefully they won't have seized and with the how to guide and a little luck it will go smoothly.

I don't mean to come across like a dick, but if you can't do bugger all on cars, why are you messing around with one of the most Important things on it?

It's a fair point, but everyone has to learn somewhere. Having read the how-to it seems one of the simpler things to do myself to save a bit of cash to put into the tank instead of a mechanics hand.

It's not that I can't I just haven't ever done it before. I learnt how to take laptops and phones apart and put them back together again, I am sure I will manage this.