Fix for sticky handbrake needed

I'm looking at freeing up my handbrake as I feel its sticking when driving etc. Lifting the handbrake when driving or pressing my brakes stops the loud rubbing noise... Anyone know if this is an easy job? How to etc

sounds like you need new handbrake cables! I had to replace mine as they was sticky quick and easy job to do on a ramp

Ah ok, was yours making a weird but quite loud rubbing noise from the back when driving? (louder when driving faster etc)

before throwing money at it best check the rear brakes as they can bind due to dirt built up...and whilst at it can check to see if the cables are free

before throwing money at it best check the rear brakes as they can bind due to dirt built up...and whilst at it can check to see if the cables are free

My rear brakes are making a bad noise too, which goes when I either apply the brakes or gently lift the handbrake.
I was told by a garage that one side was not rotating freely. I was therefore going to strip the caliper and re-grease the sliders, whilst at the same time as replacing the discs and pads.

However, this has me thinking I may need to do something with the handbrake cable? - I've never replaced a handbrake cable, how can you tell if it needs doing?

My rear brakes are making a bad noise too, which goes when I either apply the brakes or gently lift the handbrake.
I was told by a garage that one side was not rotating freely. I was therefore going to strip the caliper and re-grease the sliders, whilst at the same time as replacing the discs and pads.

However, this has me thinking I may need to do something with the handbrake cable? - I've never replaced a handbrake cable, how can you tell if it needs doing?

once jacked up you can un-hook the cable from the handbrake arm on the caliper - once this is done if the cable is free you can move the inner cable in-out of the outer cable....also worth noting that the arms go fully back on to their stops once the handbrake is in the off position - some can be over adjusted ie the arms are not fully back due to wrong adjustment - handbrake should be adjust once the pads are refitted and the pedal pumped to set the pads - then adjust
cable etc

once jacked up you can un-hook the cable from the handbrake arm on the caliper - once this is done if the cable is free you can move the inner cable in-out of the outer cable....also worth noting that the arms go fully back on to their stops once the handbrake is in the off position - some can be over adjusted ie the arms are not fully back due to wrong adjustment - handbrake should be adjust once the pads are refitted and the pedal pumped to set the pads - then adjust
cable etc

I've never seen the rear of a the calipers, I assume there is 2 arms then and one pivots - so when the handbrake is pulled the 2 pull together and apply the handbrake.

So you are saying with the handbrake re-attached and in down in the car - make sure the arm moving arm goes back all the way? - Assuming it doesn't this is when the handbrake needs adjusting. This is I believe done in the car right? - tbh I'd just take it to a garage at that stage? I'm not sure how much tension there should or shouldn't be?

Tempted to just pay for it to be done anyway, ****ing hate working on cars!! Just average garages never do a decent job and properly strip and clean all the brake dust in my experiance :worried:

I've never seen the rear of a the calipers, I assume there is 2 arms then and one pivots - so when the handbrake is pulled the 2 pull together and apply the handbrake.

So you are saying with the handbrake re-attached and in down in the car - make sure the arm moving arm goes back all the way? - Assuming it doesn't this is when the handbrake needs adjusting. This is I believe done in the car right? - tbh I'd just take it to a garage at that stage? I'm not sure how much tension there should or shouldn't be?

Tempted to just pay for it to be done anyway, ****ing hate working on cars!! Just average garages never do a decent job and properly strip and clean all the brake dust in my experiance :worried:

when its jacked up and the wheel removed it will become clear - you will see the cable going to the caliper and the small arm on the rear that operates the
piston to clamp the disc - it just hooks on the arm - nothing fancy

to adjust the handbrake cables you have to remove a couple of screws on the rear sides of the centre console and lift it up to get to the cable compensator

Thanks, I'll weigh up the prospect of doing it myself. I really need to start saving money on this car where I can.

In terms of adjustment, I guess you slacken the comensator right off, slacken off the rear caliper arms so they go to the stop then torque them. Then just adjust the compensator to take up the slack - is it obvious how much tension needs adding?

Cheers