First trackday in my 197

Had my first taste of track driving last week at a novice only trackday at Oulton Park. Absolutely loved it - Just a shame I can't afford to do them more often!

Car performed brilliantly, couldn't believe the grip of the AD08's i've got on and the brakes were strong too. No sign of fade from the DS2500 pads and RBF600 fluid either and I had braided lines fitted a couple of days before too which have improved initial brake bite and feel quite a bit.

I took 20 mins of tuition which was well worth it to learn the lines and braking points and also a couple of driving tips, I felt I did pretty well with the majority of the circuit although I struggled with perfecting Brittens and confidence in how much speed I could carry through Dentons. Also had a bit of a moment with massive oversteer at one point on Lodge with the back end stepping out quite a bit a couple of times but I managed to hold it.

Think the banked shell oils corner was my favorite though, I was surprised how late you turn in and loved how the car just pivoted around the apex because of the banking of the track!

I got left a bit on the straights by the majority of cars there - Mainly M3's but i've got to say not much gained ground on the Clio under braking or through corners. Then everybody got well and truly smoked by a Caterham that showed up later in the day :smiley:

Few pics below:

20140812_094406.jpg

LHP_9062_1000.jpg

LHP_1414_1200.jpg

LHP_2391_1330.jpg

20140812_145340.jpg

20140812_154925.jpg

bet u enjoyed urself..car looks good..glad u didnt have any technical problems..those tyres are awesome..were u quicker than ur friend in a 200??

He wasn't out on track that day, hes only just bought the car so not really ready for the track yet. He just came with me and sat in the passenger seat!

last time i went my neck had been sore for a few days :roy:
what alloys have u got??not clear from the pics??

Car looks good mate. Glad to hear that a newbie to track had so much fun :wink: I will be doing my first track night in a couple of weeks looking forward to it.

last time i went my neck had been sore for a few days :roy:
what alloys have u got??not clear from the pics??

Alloys are OZ racing ultraleggeras - Just look a bit odd on some of the pics!

Looks good on track mate love Oulton park it's a great track not much room for error tho

Yeah its a great track, I like the change in levels. But yeah a couple of corners don't have the biggest run off areas - Which a guy in a Lotus Exige found out on the second lap out when he spun into a barrier!

Car looks good mate. Glad to hear that a newbie to track had so much fun :wink: I will be doing my first track night in a couple of weeks looking forward to it.

You'll love it I bet, i've definitely caught the trackday bug now! I might do another over the winter as its around £90 cheaper than in the peak season, but obviously also risk it being very cold and wet too...

Good to hear some positive feedback from a trackday newbie :smile: I'm really torn as to whether or not to do one, so this kind of stuff is great to read!