First time cleaning car with snow foam?? Advice please!!

Hi Guys, 8)

I bought a nilkfisk pressure washer the other week and it came with a small snow foam lance bottle.

To date I have always washed my car by hand so I am unsure what steps to take and what best products to use?

Due to this being my first time using snow foam, I am looking for a 500ml bottle of snow foam, but I don't know what makes do this size and what are the best makes to use?

In terms of the ratio would I put 1/4 liquid foam in bottle to 3/4 of cold water?

After I have rinsed off the foam, would you advise me to get a mitt to use with the wax to lessen the risk of getting swirls in the paintwork? If not how do I stop the swirls from appearing?

I use Auto Glym super resin polish 4 times a year as I have heard if I use it as many times as I wash my car the polish takes the laquar off the paintwork. :001_unsure: In the meantime throughout the year I am wanting wax the car. I have got my eye on this stuff from Meguiars http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=litlpq&istBid=t

If not the above product would you say wax in a pot is better to rub onto the paintwork using the mitt?

I may think of claying the car once I have used the 500ml bottle and have got used to the first steps using snow foam etc first.

Look forward to your feedback lads!!

Chris

I've got a Nilfisk washer too, is yours C110.3? If so the little bottle you get is OK but a bit thirsty. I got a lance from one of the detailing websites (Roll Up And Shine) and used it for the first time the weekend - very good, easy to use too!

I've got a Nilfisk washer too, is yours C110.3? If so the little bottle you get is OK but a bit thirsty. I got a lance from one of the detailing websites (Roll Up And Shine) and used it for the first time the weekend - very good, easy to use too!

Mine is Nilfisk C110.3-5 1400W Deck, Drive & Patio Pressure Washer.

I thought the little bottle that came with the pressure washer was the lance and was good enough to use for the snow foam?

I have the same pressure washer and that bottle that comes with it is alright but not as good as the proper foam lances. Uses sooo much snow foam in that little bottle its rediculous.

I have the same pressure washer and that bottle that comes with it is alright but not as good as the proper foam lances. Uses sooo much snow foam in that little bottle its rediculous.

Interesting to know that it's a thirsty little bottle. I shall see how I get on with it and if I experience the same problem I shall look for a foam lance.

Where did u get your new foam lance from and how much foam did u put in the bottle and how much water did u add? ratio wise??

I borrowed my mates cause I cant afford £50 for a foam lance at moment lol. But I will prob get it from Cleanyourcar.com when I get round to buying one.

Think I put about an inch of snow foam in then filled the bottle up with warm water.

The bottle that comes with the Nilfisk will not generate foam anything like the dedicated foam lances you get from detailing websites.

SRP will not remove lacquer, nothing to be worried about anyway. It is only very very mildly abrasive.

That megs wax you have linked to is actually a sealant and will only last 2 or 3 washes. I would totally recommend buying this instead:
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-jett-trigger.html

This will go perfectly fine of top of SRP and also dresses and protects you exterior plastics. It will last longer and keep your paintwork protected for longer too.

The detergent bottles they give you are useless, ive now only use them for wheel cleaners. Go to a proper detailing website and buy a snowfoam lance (I use autobrite) they are essentially the same thing but much more adjustable and allow you to get a foam that will drip or stick to the car to reach desired effect. I struggled for ages with my gerni's "lance" (Nilfisk is gerni in australia) now I use the autobrite lance for everything - cleaning the car, house walls, windows, garage, paths ect

Last edited:
The bottle that comes with the Nilfisk will not generate foam anything like the dedicated foam lances you get from detailing websites.

SRP will not remove lacquer, nothing to be worried about anyway. It is only very very mildly abrasive.

That megs wax you have linked to is actually a sealant and will only last 2 or 3 washes. I would totally recommend buying this instead:

This will go perfectly fine of top of SRP and also dresses and protects you exterior plastics. It will last longer and keep your paintwork protected for longer too.

Hi,

I have taken a look at that Werkstatt Acrylic spray. It sounds good and going by the pictures and your compliments I shall give it a go. I am not sure whether to also purchase that Poorboys Mega Duluxe mega towel or not or just get a microfibre towel from a retail shop like poundland or somewhere like that. That may be just the same. lol.

I think after all the feedback I have had on here to date, I will have to invest in a proper foam lance at some point. It's just a shame they are pretty expensive just for a plastic bottle. lol.

What snow foam would u recommend?

The best place for a lance is from Autobrite Direct via the detailingworld forums group buy. £40 delivered I think. It's the same brand (PA) as the other shops do. They are quite expensive but the main body of the lance is metal and there's two forms of adjustment on them (mixture and spray width) so a fair bit more to them than the included Nilfisk ones.

Do you spray the snow foam on a dry car or rinse it with cold water first with the pressure washer?

Also would this process be ok???
snow foam,
spray the bug and tar remover on the car
Auto Glym SRP
Jett Trigger spray

Or would I need to wash the car by hand after i've done the snow foam part?

Last edited:
The question is... is snow foam a waste of time? Does it move anything over and above what a pressure washer rinse alone does?

I don't bother using one on my own car now - use a good enough wax/sealant, and it will pressure washer clean 90% anyway. For filthy cars, I use a citrus degreaser or G101, both of which are a good 5x more effective than any snow foam I've used and cheaper too!

Personally, I wouldn't bother, but it is very, very good fun!! :smile: