First proper drive of my R27!!

Rockshow

Gold Member
So took my R27 out for my first proper drive in anger tonight!! Now I'm not sure if this is a swearing forum so I'll just start with 'holy crap'!! My background is building and racing caterhams, and never thought I'd get that same feeling I got after a good drive in one of those as I did in the 197! And with the air temp a little cooler and the Bridgestones not even close to being up to proper temperature, I could feel there was a lot more there before she started sliding around! And the pick up out the corners at 6-7k rpm is brilliant!! Looking forward to getting her on track on the twisty bits!!! Impressed with the Brembos too!

Scott

Glad to hear your impressed. They are a very capable car in the corners and will put a big smile on your face.

As for swearing we don't mind craps etc but filters are on for f's and c's and s few others...

Hahaha to be honest I'm not really a sweary person, and wouldn't probably trigger any of the filters, but I thought on this occasion maybe something more than a gosh darn it! Haha! But good to know, thank you.

I was certainly impressed with the car. Might look at re-routing the cold feed for the cone air filter, or even replace the filter itself. I prefer the K&N style as apposed to the sponge type, but I guess there's probably not much between the two and certainly not a lot from a performance aspect.

Scott

Living in the west midlands I've always struggled to find roads twisty enough to challenge the Clio without approaching silly speeds. The grip just feels endless.

Evo triangle was a bit of a disappointment because of this, felt like I could just stick cruise control on about 70 and steer!

Yorkshire Dales are good fun, and some of the roads around Snowdonia in Wales as well. Nice and picturesque too.

I'd go out on a limb and say the Clio is up there with the best handling hot hatches, even current ones. A few years ago I had a Corsa VXR Nurburgring with a mechanical LSD, bilstein tuned suspension and the same brembo break set up as the Clio. While the Corsa might be a bit more capable than the Clio when push comes to shove it just didn't offer the same sort of driver feedback and involvement.

The french have always been known to make good handling cars and the Clio is no exception. What it lacks in straight line grunt is more than made up for with how it drives and handles.

I'd go out on a limb and say the Clio is up there with the best handling hot hatches, even current ones. A few years ago I had a Corsa VXR Nurburgring with a mechanical LSD, bilstein tuned suspension and the same brembo break set up as the Clio. While the Corsa might be a bit more capable than the Clio when push comes to shove it just didn't offer the same sort of driver feedback and involvement.

I've just been looking at the Nurburgring Corsa's, guess I'll cross that off the list of potential new cars!

These really are great cars, glad you're enjoying it [MENTION=54682]Rockshow[/MENTION]

Very good to hear you're so happy with the Clio, especially after coming from such a focused car as a Caterham. They are a huge amount of fun and along the right roads they are fantastic.

Not sure what cone filter set up you have but believe they drop on power - a performance panel filter in the standard airbox does a great job, and sounds quite nice if you remove the acoustic valve gubbins.

Anyway, glad you're having fun in it!

Awww now I could be interested in reverting back to the panel filter. What are the accoustic value things you mentioned, and are they easy to spot. I do like the induction note, particularly when on full chat, but at the same time do not want to compromise on power and want to keep the sound, but sound like I've stuck a cheap and nasty filter on just to make it sound aggressive!!!!

For me I love the twisty bits as apposed to top speed on the straights and so far she seems more than capable!

I've just been looking at the Nurburgring Corsa's, guess I'll cross that off the list of potential new cars!

They're nice to drive and very capable so might be worth a test drive to see what you think. The levels of grip with the diff is very impressive and the way it pulls out of corners has to be experienced. It's just lacking somewhat in feedback and rawness compared to the Clio but that's a complaint I have with a lot of the more modern hot hatches, I think the Clio was the last of a dying breed and feels more old school if that makes sense.

I'm in love with the way the back end comes out on these cars. I've got standard suspension, non cup, and it's still very good.

If you're attacking a corner and find that you're not turning enough, lift off, it'll sort you right out. You can also load the front by braking slightly.

10/10 Chassis and setup is good.

[MENTION=54682]Rockshow[/MENTION] 6bf027204328cc06e69646f48dc774ec.jpg

The hose has been removed and the vacuum pipe blanked off. The solenoid must stay connected though. A very simple mod indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk