Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Shiny used Clio 200

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters

Jamz72

Paid Member
Hi Guys,

My first post..

I'll try not to give my life's story here but basically I've been after a 200 for about 2 years now, I've been at Uni for 3 years, now coming to the end of a years professional placement, then back to Uni for a year, finally graduating Spring next year.. So I think I have been fairly sensible to resist buying one for this long as it would have either been sat at home doing nothing for months on end while I was at Uni or parked by the side of the road in Coventry and probably nicked!

The perfect time for me to buy would be Jan - April next year, right before I graduate and head back home to rural North Wales for a summer of (hopefully) frolicking down the country lanes in my Clio :smile:

I pretty much know exactly what I want (I've had 2 years to plan): FF Clio 200, Glacier White, Cup Chassis, Black Speedlines & Recaros. I think this comes to £20k on the road, maybe a bit under. But the depreciation.. is insane! I don't want my car to lose 40-50% of its value in a year or two :worried:

So I have two questions..

1) For those of you kind enough to reveal, how much discount did you get off your car when you bought it new? (rrp price and amount of discount would be useful). Would you recommend buying new over used?

2) If I were to buy a used 200, would this be a good idea? An obvious flaws with this plan? I would obviously try and buy from someone that's looked after it, but you can never really tell.

Cheers
James

Definitely buy used! I bought mines 15 months old, even though i regret buying one that old (i wanted about 6 months old) i don't regret the price i payed, i won't take as big a hit as i originally wanted to take.

You should be able to find the spec you want easily enough tbh.

Cheers guys!

+1 with Mike used unless your loaded and can take a hit
Definitely not loaded Roy, hence the 2 year wait and careful consideration!

Agree but for different reasons, the engine only really starts to feel alive after 10-15k miles.
Yep, had considered this and agree.

Definitely buy used! I bought mines 15 months old, even though i regret buying one that old (i wanted about 6 months old) i don't regret the price i payed, i won't take as big a hit as i originally wanted to take.
How come you regret it so much?

Shiny (almost) new 197 :smile:
Good try :tongueout: got my heart set on a 200 though!

Seeing as everyone is recommending used.. anything in particular to watch out for? Read some stuff about a few peoples gearboxes giving up, anything else like this?

If you need any convincing about going for used, take a look at my 12,000 mile ownership thread to see how much it can cost to keep one of these on the road.

Even stripping out costs associated with the two trackdays I've done, you're looking at £750 per month all in. That's from me buying mine at 2 years old with 18k miles on it at a cost of £10k.

I dread to think how the numbers would work out if I'd bought a new one!

OK.... if ya can find a nice used one from someone ya can trust then go for it. I got mine new and I know that its gonna take a hit but its piece of mind and ya know that its not been abused.... prior to you :wink: I've had a couple of bad experiences from used cars with fake service history etc and cars just coming outta warranty and then costing.

Have a look at a PCP and see what ya think? Ya can plan it and know what it will cost ya

NEW, one of the last ones sat at the back of some showroom begging to be picked up at the right price.

I picked up my 2011 11-plate RS200 last month and it has a great specification, it had spent most of it's life in a showroom and had covered just 1,300 miles. It was serviced prior to handover and it was over 5 grand cheaper than the same car would be brand new!
The price I paid for buying used was not having accees to the 4+ finance scheme, loss of a year's warranty and having to live with a few very minor signs of it being used... The major benefit was getting a factory black roof - something I wanted but would not pay over 400 pounds for!!

If you can find a nice one....buy used but nearly new!

The perfect time for me to buy would be Jan - April next year, right before I graduate and head back home to rural North Wales for a summer of (hopefully) frolicking down the country lanes in my Clio :smile:

Won't the new one be out about then?

If so you may be able to pick up a bargain new one or a nearly new one.

It'd be nice having a new car but i'd go nearly new.

Seeing as everyone is recommending used.. anything in particular to watch out for? Read some stuff about a few peoples gearboxes giving up, anything else like this?

Gearboxes, try and start it from cold and make sure it goes into 1st/reverse easily. Check for audible or tactile crunches between 2/3/4th.

Recaros wear.... always. In warranty they should get replaced without fuss though so it's no excuse for someone to sell one with it.

Calipers at the front have a tendancy to stick if unloved, check the lip on the discs is even out to inside.

Paint on the alloys is... thin? to say the least so check it's not pealing off. Renault suck at painting alloys.

I bought new on the end as I just couldn't find the spec I wanted and the colour used, the loss on a new car is a killer but at the same time in keeping mine so I know peace of mind that it's just been me and what ever happens I've done it no a previous owner. I'd never buy new again but I'm glad I did as its the only chance I'll ever have of buyi g a new motor unless I win the lottery or something.

My down payment was 6k and then and I pay £315 a month for 3 years

To me it would depend on the price you can get them down to for a new one. We've recently managed to get £2k off the list price of a £14.5k car which brought it down to about £1k more than a 6-12 month old one.

It will all depend on the deals available at the time.

Paint on the alloys is... thin? to say the least so check it's not pealing off. Renault suck at painting alloys.

On the meg with the trophy wheels it's very thick!

Wheels are painted red then black which is raised. Got to be several mm thick.

So think you could curb them and only trash the paint and not the wheel.