First go at detailing - My missus' black SportKa

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
Ok, where's Mike with his sign! Lol!

Had a go at detailing my other halves car today. The poor thing was in desperate need of something, so thought I would give it a go myself and see what it was like.

I don't know what products are best for what and I haven't got a machine polisher. I might buy one, but today I have just used good old fashioned elbow grease!

DSCF2533.jpg

DSCF2532.jpg

DSCF2531.jpg

I can still see the swirl marks in the paint, but it is much improved over what it was before. My main objective was to improve the colour, the car was very dull.

The process was:

1. Jet wash
2. Wash, wheels done with All Wheels Cleaner by Megs
3. Dry
4. Tar removal with AG Instant Tar Remover
5. Wash bottom half again
6. Megs clay bar
7. Rain X windows outside, AG Fast Glass inside
8. G6 cutting compound on scratches
9. Megs Ultimate Compound all round
10. Megs Carnuba Wax
11. Williams F1 leather cleaner and conditioner on seats
12. Vacuum inside
13. AG Interior Shampoo on dash
14. AG Vynal and Rubber care on exterior trim
15. Turtle Wax Tyre Gel on tyres

Wasn't sure what to do with the stripes, but the Ultimate Compound worked well on them. Need to get a snow foam lance too.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for next time, please feel free to do so.

Arran.

Good work bud. Put your money into the machine polisher before the snow lance imo. Will defo save you the arm ache! You can always pop over and give mine a try if your nearby!

It's the stage 3 of the 3 stage thing they do. In a small red bottle! Lol! I'll try and find out a bit more when I have chance.

Looks good, without sounding to :tongueout:inky: i've always had a bit of a soft spot for sport KA's and think they could have some potential on track with a few small changes.

How long did you soend on it?

Looks good, without sounding to :tongueout:inky: i've always had a bit of a soft spot for sport KA's and think they could have some potential on track with a few small changes.

How long did you soend on it?

Started about 10.15/10.30 and finished about 6.30, about 7.30 by the time I'd put everything away and tidyied up.

It's a good little car, very fun to drive and loves the corners.

It has some drawbacks though, it's rusting in places, the usual Ka places being round the fuel filler and the rear wiper. But it also has rust along the bottom of the n/s, spots of it. I'm not sure if the n/s has had some paint work done on it before the missus had it, there looks like what seems to be over spray on the back and on the b pillar there is a small patch that is unpainted. The steering wheel has melted like some of the 197s do too.

It's got a good a thurst for unleaded like the Clio as well! Lol! I've seen a few that have had some mods done and they look good.

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions