FF 197 change to Cup Chassis

Is it possible to change suspension setup on a FF 197 to a cup chassis, in terms of shocks/springs?

Looking to lower mine, without having to declare an insurance mod.

Any help would be good.

Yes. :wink:

Straight swap. There's a full set for sale on here actually, have a look in the classifieds. :wink:

But, the Cup springs only lower the ride height by around 7mm. So if you want lower than that you're looking at Eibachs (25mm) at the very least.

Reactions: Chris lenton
Used sets go for good money

I bought brand new shocks for 200 quid from Renault and brand new eibachs from revolution for 145 so worked out not much more expensive but all new parts

Like said above it's a direct swap. I recommend the cup shocks and eibachs. Sits a bit lower but still looks Like it would have come from the factory and handles very well

i have a ff cup pack & i'm thinking i might go for the eibachs myself, just looking to get a bit more feedback from the tyres and hoping dropping it another 13mm/18mm f/r will help...

to be honest my clio3 1.6 that was 30mm lowered (still with ff shocks) had more feedback through the tyres, you could feel all 4 tyres contacting the road, in my 197 w/cup pack its actually a bit more detached

Last edited:
We retrofitted cup springs and dampers to mine, pretty straightforward, just like for like replacement as mentioned above.

Before you do this though, think about how you use the car. The Cup chassis is definitely a touch less compliant, and there possibly seem to be more rattles than there were. Also if you think it is embarrassing driving through town with passengers with the FF suspension, it is more so with the cup option.

If you are doing it solely for looks, then IMO that is the wrong reason and you should probably have bought something more about about show and less about handling. The standard suspension setup is excellent for day-to-day road use and occasional track use. The cup chassis should improve things slightly on track but at the detriment of compliance on the road.

If you think you know better than a RenSport chassis engineer then maybe you can improve the handing with lowering springs, personally (and having learned from experience with other cars) I don't.

I guess what I am trying to say with this little rant is;
1. it's your car, so long as it makes you happy that's all that matters.
2. Cup pack will make things look a touch lower, and may improve track performance, but is unlikely to have a positive impact for road use.
3. if you are fitting lowering springs for looks then fine, but there will be a trade-off in handling, practicality and ride comfort.
4. having compared cup and FF on my car, I would stick with FF, for road and occasional track use. I have Cup on the car now, and won't change it, it isn't that bad, but I wouldn't do the same thing again. I was blown away by the FF chassis on track, haven't tried cup on track yet, but this wasn't really an area that needed improvement.

Also consider that people (not directed at this thread) will often recommend their mods even if they weren't great, just to save face. People admitting that their mods don't work or weren't wholly successful, are few and far between.

Just my 5¢ worth.

From what I can gather, it's more worth changing to 200 cup suspension and steering rack than changing to 197 cup suspension.

I will be changing to 197 cup suspension, but not until I find a cheap set of dampers, so could be in for a long wait!

Just to bump this thread.

Is there anything tricky about changing from 197 FF suspension to 200 Cup suspension (keeping the 197 steering rack)?? Or is it just a straight swap?

Thanks!

Straight swap, but remember the 200 Cup chassis has a rep for being even more aggressive than the 197 Cup chassis. A lot of the credit for the 200 Cup is possibly down to the steering rack.

Beware though that the top mounts changed from I think Sep 10 production, which may cause you an issue, so you will need the dampers from/for a pre-Sep 10 Cup.

I have a jan 10 200 cup suspension sitting around.
Could be tempted to part..pm me if interested 8)

As said worth making sure you get the right top mount compliant parts or they wont fit! Although you could just change the top mounts too I guess if you did end up with the wrong suspension for your car.

Definitely worth upgrading, loved my cup pack when I had it.

Hi all,

I've now the same problem, I got a 2006 197 Clio RS and bought a brand new Cup Suspension from a friend of mine who changed to KW.....later I got the info that there is a difference in the chassis, the old one got bigger camber plates as the new one.
Yesterday we tried to swap it and....yeah failed ;/

What do I have to change now ? Can I buy the camber plates from the new Clio 201 and mount it on my old Clio or doesnt fit that ?

Hope you can help me, sorry for my bad englisch I'm from Austria, and for sure I will introduce myself little bit later.

EDIT: Just found that thread now - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15304
The holes for the bolts are in different positions, so am I right that there is no chance to fit it ?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've now the same problem, I got a 2006 197 Clio RS and bought a brand new Cup Suspension from a friend of mine who changed to KW.....later I got the info that there is a difference in the chassis, the old one got bigger camber plates as the new one.
Yesterday we tried to swap it and....yeah failed ;/

What do I have to change now ? Can I buy the camber plates from the new Clio 201 and mount it on my old Clio or doesnt fit that ?

Hope you can help me, sorry for my bad englisch I'm from Austria, and for sure I will introduce myself little bit later.

EDIT: Just found that thread now - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15304
The holes for the bolts are in different positions, so am I right that there is no chance to fit it ?

That is my understanding, I don't think you can use those parts, unless you can modify your existing parts to suit the 200 Cup items.