Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Michael Schumacher

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Fernando Alonso

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Sebastian Vettel

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
I have just finished watching Senna for the third or fourth time and it got me thinking...

Who do you think is the greatest ever Formula 1 driver?

Fangio should've been in the list...

Senna is arguably one of the greatest ever drivers and gets my vote. Shumacher is also an accomplished legend and no matter what peoples opinions on him you can't deny his achievements and talent.

With out a shadow of a doubt Senna has it!!

I had this convo with my bro the other day. Shumi is up there with senna as he made a name for himself and turned teams in to winners. Seb has to move team like Hamilton and do it again to prove his worth. (He doesn't deserve the booing IMO)

meat Stirling moss and was not impressed!

Senna is/was an enigma. No doubt he could drive but the way he carried himself, I think, somewhat pushed his hero-status to what it is/was. I know he did an awful lot for charity and as a human being he seemed to try and do the right thing and be a beacon for his country. I can't really slate the guy but for me he isn't the best. Sorry fanboys!!! :smiley:

Schumi'? Questionable TCS in the Benneton, cars and tyres developed around him at Ferrari, plain average on his comeback. When he couldn't get his own way he would cheat or moan. Much like Senna would to be fair. I don't dislike Schumacher, he comes across as a nice guy and there's no doubt that nobody has ever had as good a connection with a car as what he did with those cars of his. Great driver yes, multiple champion, yes. Best ever though, not for me no...

Sir Jackie Stewart, well, he is just THE man. The way he carried himself away from the track in his family life is for me an example that a lot of people could learn from. The way he pushed for tighter safety controls and wasn't afraid to stand up to the men in suits, the reasons behind his retirement and what he did after it to make the sport safer for everyone from F1 down to Formula Ford. He led from the front and wasn't afraid to be the one doing the talking and taking the flak. That to me makes him the best champion. THE champion.

Saying that the polar opposites to Jackie were James Hunt and Mike Hawthorn and they were two sides of the same coin. I love the pair of them for their complete madness and sheet bloody-mindedness. Both worthy champions but a part of me thinks the pair of them wasted their talent somewhat.

It's interesting that nobody has mentioned Kimi or Mika yet!?!

Or even Prost or Lewis or Jenson!?!

I'm thinking this also.

I dont get the Senna hype. Seems the "in thing" to favour him but after watching his film and various other TV pieces, he comes across as a total knob.

senna showed his true talent when he was at maclaren in 1993 when prost was in the far superior Williams...senna really drove the cars wheels off and show what he could do...

jim clark was far better then stewart

Senna is/was an enigma. No doubt he could drive but the way he carried himself, I think, somewhat pushed his hero-status to what it is/was. I know he did an awful lot for charity and as a human being he seemed to try and do the right thing and be a beacon for his country. I can't really slate the guy but for me he isn't the best. Sorry fanboys!!! :smiley:

Schumi'? Questionable TCS in the Benneton, cars and tyres developed around him at Ferrari, plain average on his comeback. When he couldn't get his own way he would cheat or moan. Much like Senna would to be fair. I don't dislike Schumacher, he comes across as a nice guy and there's no doubt that nobody has ever had as good a connection with a car as what he did with those cars of his. Great driver yes, multiple champion, yes. Best ever though, not for me no...

Sir Jackie Stewart, well, he is just THE man. The way he carried himself away from the track in his family life is for me an example that a lot of people could learn from. The way he pushed for tighter safety controls and wasn't afraid to stand up to the men in suits, the reasons behind his retirement and what he did after it to make the sport safer for everyone from F1 down to Formula Ford. He led from the front and wasn't afraid to be the one doing the talking and taking the flak. That to me makes him the best champion. THE champion.

Saying that the polar opposites to Jackie were James Hunt and Mike Hawthorn and they were two sides of the same coin. I love the pair of them for their complete madness and sheet bloody-mindedness. Both worthy champions but a part of me thinks the pair of them wasted their talent somewhat.

It's interesting that nobody has mentioned Kimi or Mika yet!?!

Or even Prost or Lewis or Jenson!?!

sorry but the ability to drive...and DRIVE inferior cars and still win not private life and doo goodiness :bounce1:

Stewart was a monster himself, he never had the best car on the grid. I see him as the best champion there's been, although maybe if we could take the top ten in their prime and somehow get them into a race then I'm not sure he'd win.

In terms of ability to drive a car up to and beyond it's limit then I'd say Lewis has to be considered up there then. No doubt at all that Senna was unbelievable at times but I just think there's an awful lot of hype there that maybe wouldn't be if it hadn't ended so tragically. But don't forget there was always one person Senna couldn't get the better of in karting, Terry Fullerton, and he never got the chance (money) to race in F1...

I can't see how people don't see Senna as the best. Lotus?? The man found time when others couldn't. Yes he was a handful and was arrogant but man he lived to race! He wasn't as calculating as Prost or Mansell but was a racer through and through, he went for gaps or made gaps that weren't there :/ He is part of the reason we have run offs and barrier upgrades now on some tracks. He stood up to the obvious biased relationship between Prost and The FIA bosses.

I am however very surprised no one has said Giles!?!?! 1979 French GP?? As close to perfect racing as you will get IMO

Similar Thread Suggestions