Exhaust Tips Rattling on 197

Ross

Paid Member
Hello to one and all, its me once more (the one person on here who absolutely hates Clio's more than anything). To me, my 197 is the worst mistake I've probably ever made, i am an idiot.

Anyway moving on...I (rather foolishly) decided to take my RS tips off (the little ones) and replace with some of those slightly larger ones...you know the sort where you've to file down the inside threads to make them a snug fit etc? Naturally ofcourse this is far too much for a 197 and now I've got a slight rattle every so often on a none smooth road.

I know many of you on here decided to fit the same tips, did anybody else suffer such problems and find a way round it?

Anyone wondering which style...its these :

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...io/renault-clio-f1-team-liquid-yellow/1577180

(sorry to steal someones link but hey..free advertising).

One final point, i'm not sure what keeps me awake more at night...the thought of the rattling doing physical damage to either the diffuser or exhaust...or the heat eventually melting the diffuser as I've only a small "fingers gap" between the two on either side.

Had them fitted for a few months now without issue... Now that I've taken them off, however, there's definitely a more distinct rattle at precisely 2650 rpm.

Anyway....

The tips won't get hot enough to melt the diffuser, so I'd concentrate more on sorting the rattling. Try taking the diffuser off and assessing where the tips are hitting it and adjust/replace the exhaust mounts accordingly to centralise the exhaust. This should help!

Ahh interesting response, hope your right on the tips.
I may look into someone else doing this, i have no faith in the Clio's diffuser coming off and going back on correctly.
I had a look and it seems to be held together in the lower corners by self tapping screws, that'll be funny :smile:

When I had mine fitted I didn't have a problem with them, also the exhaust I have fitted now has been rattling but the diffuser hasn't melted so I wouldn't worry about that
Just trail and error with it getting aligned now mate :smile:

Check your heat shield too, I had this rattle as the fixings had broken.

Annoyingly the diffuser must be removed to get to all the bolts, and a few of the bolts in mine had been chewed up before so I couldn't do a proper job of fixing it. Cable ties came to the rescue. Luckily it didn't get too hot round there to melt them, however lock wire was my next solution if they had failed!

ok will do nice ideas.
had a nice quiet drive back from work and its definitely the right tip which is hitting the diffuser.
When you get down on the floor and look square on...the right ones definitely higher than the left by a few inches.