Exhaust from cold (blowing sound)

Rishi

Platinum Member
When i start up from cold & sit idling i get a ticking/blowing sound from the exhaust which sounds like its from around half way down the pipe, it seems to disappear when its idling after being warmed up though, anyone else get this?

If i was to listen to it cold i would say 100% that there is a leak in the exhuast, i'll get it on the ramp at work on tuesday to make sure it isn't blowing... but until then any ideas?

Mine does it too, Mark fish reckoned it could be the cat/manifold gasket but that was without the car on the ramp. My bloody aftermarket warranty doesn't cover the exhaust so I'm tempted to leave it for now, it's not affecting the running, just sounds a bit crap when cold.

Mine sounds a littly blowy from cold but it definately is not leaking as I've checked it numerous times. Just think they sound a little rough on idle.

thanks for the replies, im pretty much fine with the noise especially if its so common, when its warm it doesn't make the noise as much if at all, it's a bit concerning that RichW's was blowing at the manifold though

I've had the noise on my 200 since new and just assumed it was the cat warming up.

This. My 200 has done it since new and i was under the impression it was due to the car recycling exhaust fumes or something to help warm the cat up. Im not technical but thats my understanding of the matter anyway :thumbsup:

feel better now mine really does sound like blowing when cold had it to two different garages they had a look and said it not it really sounds loud when cold!!!

its is common bud i took a video and emailed it to rs tunning after having no joy with renault. The guys at RS said alot of 197s do it and that a remap usually helps it

could also be due to the cold engine running a different timing map to heat the cats up rapidly!!

They all do it to my knowledge. Both my 197's and a mates 200. I'd say they do it until the exhaust heats up/expands thus sealing the blow