evo car of the year 2016

Yep sure did .

In Porsche monthly? NO! NEVER!???

:smiley:

Even when they're not reviewing a Porsche they always seem to end the articles with "of course, you'd be better off with a Porsche..." drives me nuts. They're clearly getting some big kickbacks from Stuttgart!

EVO has gone to the dogs, pretty much all the best folk have left now. COTY is always worth a look though, you just need to take the result with a pinch of salt!

The mag article is really good too. Very predictable winner unfortunately, they really do love their Porsches over at Evo!

I'm a long term subscriber of the magazine and over the years I've considered stopping the subscription a few times, but I really do enjoy reading it every month....even if they are a bit biased in certain areas!! Best car mag imo.

The mag article is really good too. Very predictable winner unfortunately, they really do love their Porsches over at Evo!

I'm a long term subscriber of the magazine and over the years I've considered stopping the subscription a few times, but I really do enjoy reading it every month....even if they are a bit biased in certain areas!! Best car mag imo.

Yeah that's the catch mate. If you want a physical magazine to read, there really isn't much else available. Unless you're interested in Volvos and SUVs and the likes! But I think with the recent exodus of their better staff it's going to be a struggle to not have the quality slide.

Yeah that's the catch mate. If you want a physical magazine to read, there really isn't much else available. Unless you're interested in Volvos and SUVs and the likes! But I think with the recent exodus of their better staff it's going to be a struggle to not have the quality slide.

I've had a look at Top Gear, and Car magazine, but neither really interested me as much as Evo. I was surprised when Henry Catchpole left recently, he was one of the better 'writers' on their staff. They seem to be able to arrange some pretty special features, such as the McLaren megatest, they obviously have friends in high places (even if a lot of them are from Germany....)

I've had a look at Top Gear, and Car magazine, but neither really interested me as much as Evo. I was surprised when Henry Catchpole left recently, he was one of the better 'writers' on their staff. They seem to be able to arrange some pretty special features, such as the McLaren megatest, they obviously have friends in high places (even if a lot of them are from Germany....)

Couldn't agree more mate. Car isn't even close and as for the TG mag, not a fan at all. It looks like a bad website from the 90's in print form to me. Far too busy. At least the graphic design in EVO is still of a decent standard.

And yeah, Catchpole was a significant loss to them, especially considering where he went to. There really aren't many of the good ones left now. But for me the slide started once Harry Metcalfe took his position at Jag.

But you're totally right, there really aren't any other options.

Fancy starting a car mag?

Reactions: Jimmy
Couldn't agree more mate. Car isn't even close and as for the TG mag, not a fan at all. It looks like a bad website from the 90's in print form to me. Far too busy. At least the graphic design in EVO is still of a decent standard.

And yeah, Catchpole was a significant loss to them, especially considering where he went to. There really aren't many of the good ones left now. But for me the slide started once Harry Metcalfe took his position at Jag.

But you're totally right, there really aren't any other options.

Fancy starting a car mag?

I reckon amongst us all, we've got enough petrol heads, photographers and writers to make a damn good magazine :smiley:

Where did Catchpole go to, I'm guessing one of the cycling mags?? I knew he was a writer for one of them on and off....

I thought it would go down the pan when Harry Metcalfe left, but I think it's remained a good read. As long as they hold on to people like Richard Meaden and Nick Trott as editor, I think it'll remain the best option.

@Jimmy

Catchpole has gone to Drive Tribe mate. As have some of the others.

I bet you Dickie Meaden goes soon!

As for EVO 2.0 I'm ready mate. Can sort the website and the graphic design. There's a few on here who are certainly good enough with a camera and I'm sure the same applies for the writing.

All we need then is to borrow a few supercars and we're laughing.

:wink:

Reactions: Jimmy
Always been a fan of Evo. I was also surprised when Henry Catchpole went. If you read the current issue then Nick Trott says in his editorial that it is his 92nd and his last as he is going to be editor of Motorsport magazine. Be interesting to see who out of those left will replace him.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Always been a fan of Evo. I was also surprised when Henry Catchpole went. If you read the current issue then Nick Trott says in his editorial that it is his 92nd and his last as he is going to be editor of Motorsport magazine. Be interesting to see who out of those left will replace him.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I didn't know that about Trott... I've got the most recent issue but it's still in the wrapping, I'm on with the current issue of F1 Racing - only one mag at a time for me :smiley:

yup. trott's off. so is bovingdon, again. to drivetribe this time. just like catchpole.

Enjoyed that & predictable result - it is Evo after all! However my favourite magazine by far. I was gutted to see Henry Catchpole leave so I'll be following his tribe to see how that goes. 911R a car is a car I'd love to own. Still love the Alfa though! I'd probably take that just because it's what it is.