Engine Temp. :'(

Hi, where does everyones engine temp needle sit when your car is warm?

I ask because, mine never goes past the first big line. It just sits on it. I would of thought it was meant to go inbetween the two "big lines"? It's done it since the day I bought it and thought nothing of it..

I only ask because I was stuck in heavy traffic today, and the engine management light started flashing on and off. As I was in a que, I just turned the engine on and off, it cleared and thought it might of been a bit of poo on the MAF sensor or something.

A bit further down the que, i could smell without doubt cooking engine. At first I thought it was was this clapped out toyota hiace van that was smoking, but as I pulled away from it, the smell got even stronger. When I got home, I popped the bonnet, and although it had dissapated a little, I could smell cooking engine.

No mayo on the cap or dipstick, no signs of water loss, and I could hear a verrry faint hum from the fan.

Do people think my thermostats on its way out? :'(

mine sits 2 bars up and very rarely moves from there apart from on the very odd hot day then it settles back down

if it was the thermostat it would stay cold in the winter, not overheat in normal temperatures.... we have about 24C right now and mine only gets on the middle line when I am in the heavy traffic, but never goes any higher, when I get on the highway I can see the needle going down almost instantly though...

Well thats a plus. Any ideas why the CEL started flashing at me?

Ive had it less than a month and it has warrenty on it for 3 years (from the place). Is it worth getting it booked in for a quick check? I dont wanna take it and it be normal for them, because I was concerned when it really didnt like being cold, but thanks to this forum was reassured its normal for them to do it.

Mine never gets to half way, usually sits just on the marker to the cold side of the middle. I replaced my 'stat and it made no difference.

Mine only ever reaches halfway when stationary. Usually it is between 1/4 and 1/2 and this is the same for everyone in my experience, nothing to worry about :smile:

Even when giving it the beans it doesn't rise too much!

Mine sits quatre high up the level but will move to centre of the gauge in traffic or when its being abused, before going back down to quatre line. Moves more than the big dial on the left :wink: