Engine bay whine

I know the Clios whine on a cold startup for a couple minutes, so we're all familiar with the noise...

However, after starting the car up after work the other day I noticed that the whine didn't stop! It sounds like it's coming from the alternator but it could be anything in that area.

Was fairly liberal with the WD40 on everything that moves but there wasn't any change in pitch or volume so I'm quite stumped by this. I did notice the tensioner has a very slight wobble, I'm unsure if this is normal.

Cambelt was changed in November / 1000 miles ago. I topped up the oil (elf 5 40) the day that the car started making noises - perhaps a coincidence.

If anyone has any ideas on what is causing the whine it would be much appreciated.

did it have the aux belt and tensioner changed as well as cam belt?

if not that could be the tensioner as they usually run straight....

might be worth dropping the belt off and checking it

did it have the aux belt and tensioner changed as well as cam belt?

if not that could be the tensioner as they usually run straight....

might be worth dropping the belt off and checking it

Yep, both were changed.

I'll have to do that this weekend then

I thought the cambelt and the aux belt was the same?? Whats the tensioner too, sorry i am not great at mechanics. My car is doing the same and i am getting the cambelt and water pump changed to try get rid of this noise and dont want to pay out if its not going to slove the problem. Any advice would be a huge help thanks

the cam belt is separate to the auxiliary belt that drives the alternator and air con pump if air con fitted

the aux belt is the one you can see when the bonnet is open - the cam belt is behind the alloy and plastic covers between aux belt and engine

Renault do a aux belt "kit" which is a new belt and tensioner - worth changing both belts/tensioners whilst its apart

You could always buy the kit and fit it yourself. It's accessible through the wheel arch.