EBCs

Rogue

Platinum Member
Does anyone have an underwhelming knowledge of boost controllers?

I like the idea of running less boost as and when I want but then cranking it up when I can. Almost like having switchable maps. I've spent the evening googling info, and it looks a bit of a mine field.

If anyone could shed some light? Which brands? What to look for etc?

Just because I want less power at times. Namely in the winter when there's no bloody traction.

Cheers Steve, I'll take a look.

Is it possible to set up different "programs" so you can raise and lower boost on dfifferent settings? How does setting boost for different gears work...how does the car know what gear you're in? Or what rev range you're in?

Is it ultimately going to do what I think it'll do, help with traction?

I run boost per gear in mine, judgement of each gear uses rpm and vehicle speed... I run 320bhp to 400bhp from fourth gear up, 0.6 to 1.4bar

The avcr can run two boost maps and standard waste gate pressure.

Worth noting you can only increase boost pressure with a boost controller not reduce it. So depends on your wastegate base pressure.

Also just thought, standard car runs a boost solenoid, this has to be disconnected pneumatically but still be left wired electrically, so Ecu will not know..

The avcr can run two boost maps and standard waste gate pressure.

Worth noting you can only increase boost pressure with a boost controller not reduce it. So depends on your wastegate base pressure.

So you can run two different maps, but those maps are basically as they are as such. You can't up and down them, but you'd have a map for low boost and a map for high boost?

Last edited:
Most controllers have at least two settings. Apexi's avcr has two modes, within the two modes you can have a mix of characteristics: modified ramp up rates (can aid turbo spooling, or can be used to prevent getting a big hit of torque). Different boost for each gear, boost dependant on vehicle speed, etc. the majority of the time i run with mine off

Interesting. Thanks Andy, sounds like it'd be decent decision to have one.

I like the idea of having 300+ on tap, but there's definitely going to be times when I just want things toned down.

Im running a blitz i-color spec r on my Supra TT, id highly recommend it. You want different boost setting throughout the Gear / Rev range esp in a front wheel drive car, they are very configurable.

Alot of the boost controlers base the gear on speed, both SPEED/ RPM are a direct feed from the car, 1 wire each basically (its a square wave i think, which alters the gapping depending on speed, something like that anyway). Ideally you want full CAN information from the car then it can make the best decision on boost, but i suspect you'll be taking silly numbers for that if that even make it. lol

Spending all this money on the car rouge, get the best controller you can efford will make a vast difference to driveability if setup well, when / how sharp the boost comes in etc etc etc

Last edited:
Bit pricey that on Si lol Probably got a whole heap of features I'd never use.

Never knew you had a supra either...!

The avcr can also adjust boost dependant on throttle percentage, as far as I am aware it's the only controller on the market that offers different boost for each gear.

The avcr can also adjust boost dependant on throttle percentage, as far as I am aware it's the only controller on the market that offers different boost for each gear.

Where did you mount yours? Looks like a fairly chunky unit.

Not too pricey tho.

[MENTION=3203]Rogue[/MENTION]

970122_671408222886103_1240539026_n.jpg

Where did you get it from? Pretty much the only place I can find it it eBay or Nengun.

I opted for the e-boost2 in the end. Partly because it was the only 1 I could get on next day delivery, but it also said you could run up to 6 programs on it. One particular thread I read about the AVC-R said you could run just the 2?

Think Ste is going to program 3 boost modes for me.