Dream house or dream car?

Just seen this thread. House every time bud. I love my cars, but there'll always be something better to hanker after. I'm a fan of TV's Grand Designs programme & if I was ever able to do such a thing that'd be awesome!!! I doubt I would get anything like the same fulfilment from owning my ultimate car (Pagani if you're interested) as I would from creating my ultimate home. You can enjoy a lesser car get the dream car later.

I'd go with dream house over car, as for the plot of land I'd buy it on a "subject to planning deal" best bet is to check local boundaries, greenbelt, conservation area etc and have a word with a planning officer / pre-application as they'd have an idea if it would be viable /
Allow you to construct a work of art house.

Reactions: Johnny 99
House hands down! I turn 21 in two weeks, I'd like to own a house by the time I'm 25, Clio is slightly draining resources at the moment though...

You can always go out and buy a car, but you may never get the chance or means to build your dream home again, I think you'd regret it very much in years to come if you didn't!

Reactions: Johnny 99
For me. Car. All the way.

But trying to look at it through your eyes, are you sure there’s not a half way point where you could have a good go at the best of both worlds?

It would be the dream house for me. I enjoy the home design programmes too and I would absolutely love the opportunity to do something like that. As Chris said, your home is where you spend so much of your time, and if you can build one to your spec, that must be such an incredible thing to do.

A car will always be out there, in some shape or form, but a bespoke house.....that's something else IMO.

Reactions: Chris
Cheers all for the replies, house seems to be winning abit!

Don't get me wrong, I can afford a nice car even I did build but it wouldn't be a dream car which is what I could afford if I didn't build!

It's not about owning a big house for me, it's about designing and building something different, special, cutting edge, it's wouldn't be overly massive in terms of living space but architecturally it would be a 'that's different!' Lol

Going to have to look at the build costs involved abit more too as it's 14 years since I built and this build would be like nothing I've ever took on! I'd can do a lot of my own work, spark it, outside ground works, joinery and a fair bit of the plumbing!

Planing could knock it all on the head but now the seed is sown I'll prob be on the look out now for plots!

Reactions: Benno and Beany
House.

Invest now and sell your old one later,or are you planning on selling the current house to fund the new one?

You'll still be able to afford the gt.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Course he is. He has us for friends :smile:

Lol, tbh, best forum I've ever belonged too! Really is a great place :smile:

House.

Invest now and sell your old one later,or are you planning on selling the current house to fund the new one?

You'll still be able to afford the gt.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'd have to sell my current house to fund tbh, I could possibly buy the land with a bit of clever number work but the build would have to be financed by selling my house, it's always been the issue, when a plot pops up I've so much to do to actually make a move then it's too late and it's gone

At the same time I'd never sell all in the hope the right site would come along because I've only seen two I like in tha last 5 years!

keep us posted..either way you are a very lucky man :thumb:

Cheers bud, tbh it's more to do with land value and house build cost here in Northern Ireland that make this a realistic achievement for me, doubt I'd be in the same situation living in certain parts of mainland uk!

doubt I'd be in the same situation living in certain parts of mainland uk!

Completely right in my situation!

Tiny 2 bed with no garage or nothing is circa £250k because of the "area we live in".

Nigh on impossible getting a mortgage as a young early 20s single guy! Need bankrolling by some rich woman...

As nice as a porka would be, a dream house is the way forward, houses make money cars generally speaking never do

Lol, tbh, best forum I've ever belonged too! Really is a great place :smile:

I'd have to sell my current house to fund tbh, I could possibly buy the land with a bit of clever number work but the build would have to be financed by selling my house, it's always been the issue, when a plot pops up I've so much to do to actually make a move then it's too late and it's gone

At the same time I'd never sell all in the hope the right site would come along because I've only seen two I like in tha last 5 years!

Cheers bud, tbh it's more to do with land value and house build cost here in Northern Ireland that make this a realistic achievement for me, doubt I'd be in the same situation living in certain parts of mainland uk!

Nice to hear mate!

Similar Thread Suggestions