Don't believe it

Roy

clio197.net legend
Had the steering wheel done under warranty 18 months ago and the bloody thing as melted again.The wheel is always covered when the suns out and it's parked up.What do I do now as it's long out of warranty but surely its not right that it's gone again.Should I get on to Ren UK or the stealers were it was done???

have a word with the dealers and ruk customer services - you might get a contribution to the cost of a new one

Not got nothing to lose Si so think I will anyway

Hi Roy, Did you manage to speak to RUK? Just wondering as I assume the wheel melting issue is where the cover (not so sure it's leather) comes detached from the wheel and moves around then in places sticks to itself causing wrinkles.

Mine has done this (wasn't much sun today but 3-4 hours max shining through windscreen) and it did this while I was out driving which meant when I went to manoeuvre through a traffic calming chicane the car carried on going straight as the wheel cover moved instead (& wheel marker is now offset), luckily i was able to move my hand down and hook under the lower spoke to turn otherwise nearside would have hit the traffic island.

Surely this must be deemed as dangerous, was there any recalls on steering wheels using defective glue etc.

Will be speaking to RUK on monday about this as if this had happened at motorway speeds performing emergency manoeuvre and this happening would result in a nasty accident.

Waiting a reply mate not hold out for good news.let us know how you get on
The wheels are crap if they don't help pay for a new one I'm going to get
Steve Edge Auto to re-cover it in alcantra I think

you don't have to tell me, as I really don't want a replacement (unless they have a newer revised version) as I now have no trust in something so critical.

Different story if it was seat cloth or dashboard trim coming loose but the cover which is on the steering wheel :@

Just been looking for local trimmers and also guides on removing the steering wheel, I've never had a steering wheel do this and the way it has stretched it has to be fake leather as again never seen leather do what it's done, but see that on the 200 it is described as leather so wonder if that is different.

Waiting a reply mate not hold out for good news.let us know how you get on
The wheels are crap if they don't help pay for a new one I'm going to get
Steve Edge Auto to re-cover it in alcantra I think

I saw Steve's name mentioned on some previous searching, also Alcantara has some issues from what I read today is it goes bobbly after being gripped (there is a technical term for it) as was also thinking about going with that as well.

I will pm Anthony of here he as had his done for a while now and ask him how is wheel is holding up

yeah would be good to know as watching BTCC today it does seem to be the choice on their steering wheels although wearing gloves may stop the problem and poss. bit OTT for popping down the shops :wink:

not good roy, did you put leather cream on to protect it?

Mine 4 year now & still mint. Don't know why some have problem.

not good roy, did you put leather cream on to protect it?

Mine 4 year now & still mint. Don't know why some have problem.

Dont understand it myself Giles the car is used everyday a d when it's hot it is covered with a micro fiber towel.very frustrating