Dimming lights when turning

I have noticed that when parking my 197 the lights (front and rear) dim when turning the wheel, also the revs seem to drop a little below the normal idle. It can also be a little juddery at low revs in 1st gear.

Any thoughts on what to look at?

They are all juddery in 1st. If you search kangorooing you'll find much discussion on the subject, and some tips to alleviate it. As for the lights- Do you have cornering lights?

Just seen its the front and rear... In my experience most lights dim at idle, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Sounds like the alternator. Could be battery not be holding charge also. Have you been doing loads of really short journeys?

I'm fairly certain it's pretty normal. I don't think i've ever owned a car that didn't so it to some extent.

Its purely due to the fact you are drawing a large current to power the steering. If you were to build the revs (say up to 2k) you wouldn't get it as the alternator is generating more power.

the steering is electric so if your using it at idle its drawing a lot of current and putting a load on the alternator and hence causing the revs to drop...
the engine/ecu will compensate but its not instantaneous so that's why the idle can get a bit up/down

also worth giving the throttle body a clean

Are there any VAC lines that are common to perish or break? I'll give the throttle body a check over on Saturday.

Cleaned out the TB, was a little bit of junk in there and some on the edges of the actual flap. Seems a little better now although I was only moving it on/off the drive

mine does this too, but not just at low revs mine does it when driving at all speeds more if im hard on the power even my dash lights dip for a split second its really irritating.
maybe a bad earth connection somewhere? ive had two rs200's and the first one was fine only a slightdip when turning to full lock when idling which i would expect since the clio's have electric power steering. im really not sure whats wrong with mine but there is definitely something so if you find anything please let me know