diesel "200" ?

so you could re-map that to 170ish quite easy then. Still, not as fun as a 2.0 n/a petrol, plus it will sound like a black cab.

yes - write up in "car" magazine against the 200 :wink:

its got a 2.0 141bhp diesel

I was reading a review of this somewhere. By the sounds of it, not as good as it should be and they are starting to be less forgiving about the interior of the Mini now the 'freshness' has worn off. They were saying that it is far too crapped and the boot is poorly designed for luggage.

theres a few "whispers" about and magazine articles on new renault engines coming out - 3cylinder petrols and these new diesels - alot of downsizing on its way by the sound of it

oh and a couple of the engines have been in the last batch of concept cars

It was dropped into the Captur iirc

I come from vw TDI's previous few cars I've had have been TDI, and theyre very good. Diesels arnt like how they used to be, I'd have another one no hesitation, my Seat Leon was running 200+bhp and 300+ft/lb and would see a steady 50mpg all day long, but they drive differently. You rely on the turbo, and the noise. Yea, I had a straight through pipe on mine NO silencers, and it sounded alright, but its at the engine. Still sounded like a taxi. It went like sht off a shovel, and MPG was phenomenol, but If your a petrol head, you will miss the noises, and smells that a good petrol engine will give you.

A little 1.3/4 Dci in a clio will be crap. I dont care what anyone says, it might be nice and quiet and frugal and might be nippy, but give it a year or 2 and it will sound like a truck. You dont buy one of these types of cars for economy, so to me, it would be a pointless excersise. May aswell just buy a normal diesel clio, stick the sport kit on and be happy.

All IMHO of course :smile:

^^^bang on!!! I have never worried about the mpg in my car, I really don't care either. Those conversations are boring. They are juicy cars but driven normally they are ok imo.

They won't do a diesel renaultsport again I don't think as the megane 175dci never took off.

Anyhow, who wants a frugal hot hatch? I want fun, otherwise I'd just buy an Audi or something

They won't do a diesel renaultsport again I don't think as the megane 175dci never took off.

Anyhow, who wants a frugal hot hatch? I want fun, otherwise I'd just buy an Audi or something

but as said by "pb200" the performance for the fuel used isnt good enough.....theres v6 and v8 that can do mid to late 20mpg :'(

thats why the next clio rs will be turbo!

i think they are missing the point not having a rs clio diesel - must be a market or mini / seat / vw wouldnt make them

Yeah the 175 wasnt fast enough to compete look at what seat do with there leon fr tdi and bmw with there 123d twin turbo monster 204 bhp and still 60 mpg

I doubt the diesel would sell in great numbers. The Megane DCi 175 didnt sell very well hence where there isnt an R.S. Diesel in the new shape Megane. They were for from slow in gear they'd out drag quiet a few things and they had so much remap potential. Was just all the weight up the front end that was the problem

Last edited:
but as said by "pb200" the performance for the fuel used isnt good enough.....theres v6 and v8 that can do mid to late 20mpg :'(

thats why the next clio rs will be turbo!

i think they are missing the point not having a rs clio diesel - must be a market or mini / seat / vw wouldnt make them

But anything worthwhile with a V6 or V8 you're thinking of costs ££££s

Though I have been thinking about this, if the rumour of Renaultsport becoming it's own brand is true, they may do diesels and different power outputs like the Citroën DS range. That's been successful and French, they must be at least thinking about it.... Hope they see sense and not bother though

Absolutely not. They cost more to buy, so how long would it take to get your £1000 back in fuel costs? Diesel is now £1.40 a litre. Would we see 45mpg on short trips, town driving? Probably not.

Obviously, if you are a mile muncher then it would be a consideration, but tbh if you were a mile muncher you would be looking at something even more frugal / comfy. Possibly German?

Its a none starter 'im afraid. Look at the Megane DCi 175. Good car, but were are they? You never see them / hear of them.

In my experience "hot" diesels are not that frugal. I had a Pug 206 GTi HDi which returned 32mpg with mixed driving. I had it mapped to 130bhp and lots of torques and the economy did improve, but not by much. In gear, say from 30 / 40mph it would destroy my 200 even though it had a BHP deficit of about 50BHP. The problem was it ran out of puff, and that is the problem for most hot diesels.

My mate has a Toyota Auris SR 180 Diesel. He has had that mapped, and if you tied it to a tree it would pull it clean out of the ground such is the torque. He gets 27mpg mixed and he went on a run to the lakes and got 37!
Smaller F.I petrols with new technology is the way forward.

I loved my "GTi HDi" for what it could do and hated it for what it couldn't. Hill's were the best! It would fly up

Last edited:
i ferking HATE diesels, lol. the noise, the lack of revs, the black smoke when booting it. i'd rather get half the economy and drive a petrol i can thrash round to 7k+ :smile:

i ferking HATE diesels, lol. the noise, the lack of revs, the black smoke when booting it. i'd rather get half the economy and drive a petrol i can thrash round to 7k+ :smile:

Yeah I would agree on that. If they do go ahead with a diseasel version there there better be a petrol alternative as that would be a sure fire way to get me out of the brand!

Problem with diesels is the gearing, if you had 8 or 9 gears you could easily keep it in peak torque range and have awesome alcn.

i'd say the problems with diesels is the limited number of spontaneous combustions which can occur, hence the low and limited revs :worried:

Mcphee200, I had a seat leon tdi (fairly modded) around 200bhp, 300+ft/lb that did on average 56mpg. It only really drank if I was absoltely caning it, and even then it would still be high 30's early 40's.
Surprised plenty of peolpe in that when I pulled up at the lights with the tractor noise lol