Detailing spray "prototype' trial.............

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
Reading alot of Detailing World topics / reviews / and being a bit of a detailing fan.......i've been a long time devotee of the Sonax BSD Quick Detailing spray. Infact i've solely used this on my car for a couple of years - mainly on the back of the many great reviews. And perhaps until this morning had been 110% happy.

Theres no doubts it lasts very well / protects well and the beading for a fast-application top-coat is nothing less than awesome.

However: There was always talk of and i found; the application a little difficult. There's no doubt its 'grabby' to apply even with the best microfibre and the finish was sometimes a little 'hazy' or streaky if even a little too much product was used.

So - onto today:

Many of the hardcore detailing freaks have long experimented with mixing the Sonax with another quick detailing spray in an effort to bring out the best properties of both products,

One of the more common / liked / well used and loved 'hybrids' was a 50/50 mix of the Sonax BSD with Autoglym Rapid Detailer. So a few weeks ago i bought a bottle of the Autoglym from good old Halfords and today i mixed a potion up and had my first go with it......

34825812434_8ec33af608_b.jpg

I must say first impressions are VERY positive. Application was a dream compared to pure Sonax - and i'm sure the application time was faster. Like alot faster.

This was due i think to the hybrid mix seemingly 'evaporating' after application very quickly and immediately left a completely non-streak and glorious shine with perhaps a little more clear / crisp clarity (?). There was never any question of going back over a previously done area, using slightly too much product or reaching for a slightly less soaked microfibre to polish it up a bit.....

Now......whether this means the Autoglym (And hence the hybrid mix) contains less pure "wax" and wont protect aswell in the coming weeks i cant answer yet. But first if first impressions mean anything; i'm extremely optimistic !!!!

34857897663_872c37dcd3_b.jpg

34857898363_324659e6cb_b.jpg

*****Will follow-up with comparison beading shots with Sonax BSD and the new "hybrid" when it next rains. Shouldn't be long :smile:

That's a brilliant finish! I must have about 4-5 litres of BSD which I stocked up on from ECP the last time they had it for a decent price and I had always applied it neatly. I loved the finish but it was a bit annoying with overspray the odd time and could be difficult to remove from the likes of the windscreen etc.

Must say I've never used it as a hybrid and not having any AG products to my name do you know if it can be mixed with anything else?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sevenfourate
Thats looks great @-Eddie- !!!!!

As i truthfully said. My pic was after 3 weeks of daily but dry use and hence was on a dusty car. Which always disperses the tightness of the beading somewhat.....

Will be interesting to see how the hybrid beads. And lasts :smile:

That's a brilliant finish! I must have about 4-5 litres of BSD which I stocked up on from ECP the last time they had it for a decent price and I had always applied it neatly. I loved the finish but it was a bit annoying with overspray the odd time and could be difficult to remove from the likes of the windscreen etc.

Must say I've never used it as a hybrid and not having any AG products to my name do you know if it can be mixed with anything else?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you Google "Mixing Sonax BSD" or similar - theres loads of topics and suggestions that come up on Detailing World.

I just chose this mix and as it was somewhat tried and tested.

Be my luck to try a new concoction and end up with all the worst properties of the products used :smile:

Reactions: -Eddie-
In my opinion i dont like sonax bsd because it does not leave slippy paintwork after application. I know it beads well.
My detailing product i use after wash is Bouncer´s done and dusted, that nuclear waste green stuff which smells amazing.
Maybe Shuv next time buy bottle of that for test? You can also spray it for wet car before drying.

In my opinion i dont like sonax bsd because it does not leave slippy paintwork after application. I know it beads well.
My detailing product i use after wash is Bouncer´s done and dusted, that nuclear waste green stuff which smells amazing.
Maybe Shuv next time buy bottle of that for test? You can also spray it for wet car before drying.

@Antti O :smile:

Me too buddy, amazing stuff and smells fantastic. It gets fabulous reviews, I find you don't need much of it either when spraying. I spray it on whilst the car is still wet and then dry it off with a drying towel and the beading properties are fantastic.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Me too buddy, amazing stuff and smells fantastic. It gets fabulous reviews, I find you don't need much of it either when spraying. I spray it on whilst the car is still wet and then dry it off with a drying towel and the beading properties are fantastic.

And have duly ordered some to try - thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Still interested to see how the hybrid works out; which is what this was all about. Initially !!! :smile:

Reactions: Crazylegs
If this rancid looking green stuff is as good as it smells.....it will be a disaster !!!

"Sherbet fizz" i think not. It smells rank. All i can smell is Alcohol or IPA etc ?

That aside - really looking forward to trying it out

***What did you think of the best of the best 'test video" ???? @Antti O

34930286793_aa14c99f6e_b.jpg

Similar Thread Suggestions