Deposits on 2-piece discs & DS2500 pads

After my trackday at bedford yesterday my 2-piece KTEC discs (made by hi-spec) have uneven deposits and now vibrate when braking.

I know the reason is probably due to not cooling them enough before coming into the pits after using them very heavily. The DS2500 pads were smoking in the pits at one point even after half a lap cooling down.

So, this is probably my own fault BUT has anyone else had this with the KTEC discs? I'm just wondering if these discs are up to track work? Thinking the rotors maybe aren't up to the same standard as brembo HC or AP/PF discs?

Can't comment on the Hi-Spec stuff but as a comparison my standard pads/discs are fine after yesterday with a similar 1/2-3/4 lap cool down after each stint.

Last edited:
I run the 2-piece discs and i tracked it and haven't had issues and.also run hi-spec 2 piece discs on my track car with ds2500 and ds3000 pads and have had no issues with the disc! :smile:

Interesting, does suggest I got them too hot with not enough cooling.

But, reading around on the web Hi-Spec discs don't have a great reputation and there seem to be a lot of people with DS2500 deposit problems when using them on the track (No problems on the road).

Will see if the deposits clear up over the next couple of weeks, if not will have to work out if I go for new discs or a more aggressive pad in hope they'll clean the rotors and stop future overheating problems!

Interesting, does suggest I got them too hot with not enough cooling.

But, reading around on the web Hi-Spec discs don't have a great reputation and there seem to be a lot of people with DS2500 deposit problems when using them on the track (No problems on the road).

Will see if the deposits clear up over the next couple of weeks, if not will have to work out if I go for new discs or a more aggressive pad in hope they'll clean the rotors and stop future overheating problems!

I have the same problem every time I take mine out too, although the recent trip to Oulton has shown it up massively as it's quite hard on the brakes.

I think I'm going to look at alternate pads/discs as while they work and work well I'm like you and possibly working them beyond what they're able to tolerate for very long.

DS2500 is more of a fast road pad. You need something like pagid rs29, just get them discs skimmed and they'll be good as new.

That's pretty much what I read on other forums, performance friction pads also get rave reviews from the megane R26 boys so might be worth a try. Some people even run something like DS2500 for road and then swap to something more aggressive for the track.

I have the same problem every time I take mine out too, although the recent trip to Oulton has shown it up massively as it's quite hard on the brakes.

I think I'm going to look at alternate pads/discs as while they work and work well I'm like you and possibly working them beyond what they're able to tolerate for very long.

Which pads and discs are you running mr grumpy? Do your deposits disappear after a while?

Which pads and discs are you running mr grumpy? Do your deposits disappear after a while?

OEM discs (still on the originals) and ds2500's, I don't really get them doing Cadwell but either I lost a wheel weight on the back of the car or I've ended up with deposits on the discs.

Should be fairly obvious from looking at the disc if you've got deposits. Couple of photos of mine today

857B963D-EBAC-464E-8D5E-DA10AD308064-427-000000495ED063CC.jpg
A4BC5DE7-E6A8-4376-A40C-0400934CF457-427-000000495910D138.jpg
9AC8626B-F1C6-485A-9C0E-E5F1824E1795-427-0000004953B3CA28.jpg
1D3AF634-F5D9-4308-8209-1F90F99EBE68-427-000000494CF87EA6.jpg

seems odd,i used ktec black edition front discs and ds2500 pads at bedford on sat and i they never skipped a beat,got pagid discs and pads rear as well and for all they don't do much they never warped even with me forgetting to leave the handbrake off,woops

I was very heavy on the brakes, braking as late and heavy as I could on every corner.

Never had any problems with this setup on the road and didn't boil the fluid (brand new ATE superblue) at Bedford. Think I must have just cooked the pads.....

EDIT: read plenty on the web about DS2500 covering discs in deposits when on track, for example: http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8334

Last edited:
Sorry to go a bit off topic but are the k-tec 2 piece disc's made by hi spec then !!!!

rick

ps, you should be able to get them up to temp on the road then stomp on them from say 100mph and it should clean them off again.

From what I read they're made by hi-spec but can't say that info is 100% correct.

From what I read you need to do some heavy braking on stone cold pads & discs to clean them up as the pads are most abrasive when cold. I'll try and do this as much as possible over the next week and hope they clean up!

Will be doing some research into more track orientated pads for trackdays, pagid rs29's seem to get loads of good reviews

I got exactly the same pal and same track!!

I have the same discs just with DS3000 pads, i got heavy vibrating towards the end of the day but no change in performance!
Mine got so hot they melted the powder coated off my alloys and nearly loosing a wheel!!
Also got a very black covered alloy wheel :smiley:

My Megane had these on when I bought it and used them at it's first outing at Knockhill. I got bad vibration from the front left which would come and go.

I wasnt impressed by their performace either and they were quickly replaced by a set of Godspeed 330mm with DS2500. Much better now :smile:

Seems a common issue with these discs then.

Wondering if they should be replaced with standard brembo HC or some performance friction 330mm.

Do you know who makes the godspeed 330mm discs? They're a lot cheaper than the PF ones

Im not sure if Godspeed make them themselves. I know the use Alcon rotors on their own bell's for Impreza's.

Ive been on Knockhill 5 or 6 times now with them and they're spot on with the DS2500 but Im going to move to a more aggresive pad next as Im rarely using the car now.

They came with spacers for the callipers and longer calliper bolts too.

I sanded down the pads today to get a fresh surface and sanded the majority of the deposits off the discs too, came off reasonably easily with 120grit.

Vibration is almost all gone now, hopefully it won't return :smile: