Declaring to insurance

Hello, I'm getting fitted h&r springs and akra evo exhaust system fitting in couple days, I rung the insurance and told them what springs will be fitted and they said i dont have to declare as im not changing the performance of the car, he sounded fairly new so i think i should ring back and call again, as for the exhaust has anyone declared anything like that and can tell me how much of a price difference it made before i get a shock?

thanks for looking

I could be wrong, but surely you should be ok with the springs? you have phoned them and told them about it, they told you that it wont affect your insurance - whether that is a mistake on their behalf or not, they have still been informed and told you it wont make a difference.

Shouldn't be that much, my insurer (Bell Direct) only want an extra £87 if I put a megane engine in :O Dearest quote was £9,979 LOL

I could be wrong, but surely you should be ok with the springs? you have phoned them and told them about it, they told you that it wont affect your insurance - whether that is a mistake on their behalf or not, they have still been informed and told you it wont make a difference.
This is exactly what im thinking i just feel like they're wrong lol

Shouldn't be that much, my insurer (Bell Direct) only want an extra £87 if I put a megane engine in :O Dearest quote was £9,979 LOL

Ok nice one, what loonatic is going pay 9000+ what a joke :lol:

Well I added my coilies and it didn't affect my insurance price wise, but they are informed and have added it on which is the main thing, so if you have an accident they can't blame them...

As for the exhaust I added it on my last insurance policy for my 197 and it was about £30 extra/annum iirc

Well I added my coilies and it didn't affect my insurance price wise, but they are informed and have added it on which is the main thing, so if you have an accident they can't blame them...

As for the exhaust I added it on my last insurance policy for my 197 and it was about £30 extra/annum iirc

Thanks Chris, if they give me them prices ill be delighted but cant see it happening, will probably give them a call the weekend now, cheers

You def need to declare them mate. I was only charged an admin fee to add all mine, although they are not covered for damage/theft themselves. Look up 'material fact' in insurance terms and you'll understand that modifications are exactly that.

Give them a ring back as soon as you have fitted the exhaust / springs to confirm you have fitted them.

I recently added some modifications onto my policy and they charged me £0 (no admin fee either). However i did check with them prior (just like you have) as to the effect of adding the modifications and the price differential , they confirmed in email that there would be no charge - try and get it in writing from them, as when i actually adding the mods they tried to charge me £30 but once i referred back to the email they reversed it.

Who is your insurer? I am with Flux and emailed Customer Services with the initial query.

Thanks guys, I'll ring them before I get it all fitted just to save myself the shock once its done, I'm 23 and my insurance is already £1000+ so if they charge me £0-150 I'll be more than happy with that, I'm with hastings at the moment, but up for renewal in 3 months so if worst comes to worst I could just suffer for 3 months then swap insurers if I think there taking the p***

Also when you mentioned the change of springs did you just say it was the springs or did you say it was lowering the car? I didnt mention the word lowering before on the phone lol

Thanks guys, I'll ring them before I get it all fitted just to save myself the shock once its done, I'm 23 and my insurance is already £1000+ so if they charge me £0-150 I'll be more than happy with that, I'm with hastings at the moment, but up for renewal in 3 months so if worst comes to worst I could just suffer for 3 months then swap insurers if I think there taking the p***

Also when you mentioned the change of springs did you just say it was the springs or did you say it was lowering the car? I didnt mention the word lowering before on the phone lol

Mention they are lowering springs, you need to be as specific as you can. If the worse comes to the worse and someone is crawling over your insurance details it will benefit you as the phone calls are recorded. Always better to cover your back. Hence why i said try and do it in writing if you can then you can be as specific as you like.

Mention they are lowering springs, you need to be as specific as you can. If the worse comes to the worse and someone is crawling over your insurance details it will benefit you as the phone calls are recorded. Always better to cover your back. Hence why i said try and do it in writing if you can then you can be as specific as you like.

Ok mate thanks, god I'm dreading the price honestly lol

Hi,
If you do find you have any issues with insurance at all with the modifications then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.

Just shop for quotes with and with out mine is £400 cheaper with a megane conversation including every modification and remap and turbo upgrades

I finally got it all sorted with all modifications for £11 cheaper a month, hastings who I was with didn't want to know so went with adrian flux in the end, much much cheaper than anyone else, thanks all