Dashcommand ODB2 App

Hi Everyone :smile:

I have done a search but got no results for "dashcommand" so I was wondering, does anybody use it on here?

It's an IOS application using 0DB2 data from the car (to your iPhone)

I have the app and I think it's great but it's really bugging me because the bhp reading is about 100bhp below 197.

I know these apps are not 100% accurate and that a car loses power over time but a 100bhp loss seems a bit strong (I hope my car isn't 100bhp down anyway!! lol)

Does anyone have any experience with this app and know of a setting that I might be missing?

I have entered the kerb weight, gear ratios, additional weights (150 Kilos to be on the safe side)...but still the reading is low for bhp :worried:

Apparently, "brake specific fuel consumption" is a good figure to use in this app but I have no idea what that is for the Clio 197. I have tried some suggested numbers from the app (.45 for a NA petrol engine) but it's still 100bhp down no matter what I try to put in there.

Thanks is advance for any replies

Last edited:
I use dashcommand on an android phone, however I only use the live statistics dashboard. It's crucial to make sure the correct weight is entered, so visiting your local scrappers may help as they'll have a weighbridge. There's also a list of values entered by a RX8 user on this site which is worth having a look at: https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52257

I use dashcommand on an android phone, however I only use the live statistics dashboard. It's crucial to make sure the correct weight is entered, so visiting your local scrappers may help as they'll have a weighbridge. There's also a list of values entered by a RX8 user on this site which is worth having a look at: https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52257

Thanks very much for the reply.

I checked out that link and it was helpful, thanks.

The value that seems to have helped the most with this is the brake specific fuel consumption, which I played about with tonight.

I have set that value to .23 lb/(hp*h)

The guage now reads 196bhp under full load at peak rpm :smile:

For those intersted, my other settings that I found hard to find anywhere for the 197 are:

Final drive:
Axle ratio: 4.31
1st: 3.18
2nd: 1.95
3rd: 1.48
4th: 1.21
5th: 1.03
6th: 0.87

Can you show me a link to the piece of kit that you plug into the obd port please, wouldn't mind trying this out on mine...

Thanks

Thanks for that, so this will give me a bhp reading as well?

I am using the dashcommand app on my iphone (which also cost £10) but free apps are available and yes that gives a bhp reading. Obviously don't take the bhp figure as gospel but it gives you an idea.

More importantly the app allows you to get fault codes and monitor other peramatera such as fuel flow, air intake temps, etc

It just looks cool too with the live readouts as you drive

For the most part it is quite accurate and lag free.

Appreciate that, I have ordered the obd bluetooth, once I have everything am I ok asking you for the settings that you entered? Will be interesting to see what mine is running at...

Appreciate that, I have ordered the obd bluetooth, once I have everything am I ok asking you for the settings that you entered? Will be interesting to see what mine is running at...

No worries and yeh, sure. I'll post my settings up on this post when I am not using my phone like I am now, will be later today.

Under "Advanced Settings" for the vehicle:

btw, if I miss fields below, it's because mine are left blank:

Fuel Take Capacity: 55l

Brake Specific Fuel Efficiency: .23 (don't miss the ".",that was my mistake!)

Volumetric Efficiency: I am testing a value of "60" but just leave yours blank

Tire Size: 215\55\R17

Final Drive Ratios: see my post above ^

Curb Weight: 1240KG

Additional Weight: 200KG (my car has some heavy options like A\C and of course my weight as a driver and bits in the boot etc etc...in fact this is probably set too high but, meh)

Max Engine Speed: 8000 rpm

Minumum Engine Speed: 1500 rpm

Shift Point: 2200 rpm

Under "Advanced Settings" for the vehicle:

btw, if I miss fields below, it's because mine are left blank:

Fuel Take Capacity: 55l

Brake Specific Fuel Efficiency: .23 (don't miss the ".",that was my mistake!)

Volumetric Efficiency: I am testing a value of "60" but just leave yours blank

Tire Size: 215\55\R17

Final Drive Ratios: see my post above ^

Curb Weight: 1240KG

Additional Weight: 200KG (my car has some heavy options like A\C and of course my weight as a driver and bits in the boot etc etc...in fact this is probably set too high but, meh)

Max Engine Speed: 8000 rpm

Minumum Engine Speed: 1500 rpm

Shift Point: 2200 rpm

Cannot find the advanced settings section on the app? Am I looking at it wrong?

Hmmm cannot connect to the Clio, will connect with my other cars though? There is power to the one socket but plugging the diagnostics scanner in it is saying problem with pin 5?

Ok I managed to set this up and gave it a try when driving over to Pav,s to collect some bonnet insulation, works well, couldn't quite get it up to 7000rpm due to traffic constraints but around the 5500-6000 rpm it was reading 180bhp so not to bad, I made a bracket for an old Samsung tablet and fixed this temporary to the dash but am thinking off something a little better for the future..

IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2152.JPG

Reactions: sevenfourate
The app info looks great.....reminds me of my mates GTR. But even better. Even the tablet looks pretty decent in place to me !

I'm really not very techy. So do you need a phone or tablet with a working / paid SIM card in to run this app and device ?

And for reference. How or where have you mounted your device to the dash @6705russell ?

No, no SIM or anything like that, All's you need is a Wi-Fi obd plug in device off 3ebay, they range from a a fiver to fifteen pound, mine was ten, download the app on your android phone or tablet or iphone/iPad, cost is 6 pound on android and 10 pound on apple..
The devices link with Wi-Fi between the two and you are away, for precision monitoring you need to input various values, tyre size, vehicle weight, gear ratios etc which I have.
I made my own bracket which slots under the clock console.

Fantastic ! Thankyou @6705russell

No reason you couldn't run your everyday phone in any case of course. Although I guess your idea of going down a dedicated device route is probably better.

You sounded pretty interested in the BHP part of the app earlier in the thread. What are you intending on having displayed on a day to day basis for interest....? :smile:

To be fair I only set it up some could get an idea of what power it was producing, back out again tomorrow on some better quieter roads....