Dangerous Dog Act, what a waste of time that is

Bit of a rant here regarding the above law which I think was created back in 1871 and the reason for this I've just got back from my sisters after she had taken her 2 small and cute Cavalier King charles out for walk (on their leads) when some local Chav Skinhead appeared with his pitbull (not on a lead) as soon as it saw my sister's dogs it shot over before she could react and brutally attacked 1 of her dogs.

The injuries are pretty horrific as I rushed over to her place this afternoon to take the Dog to the Vets, which is now currently having emergency surgery.

Once back at her's called the police to report this guy and his dog but because apart from some scratching to my sister's hand their is nothing they can do and said it's a civil issue.

Now having seen the injuries if that was some kid it attacked and it probably will some day, the kid will be disfigured and seriously hurt and if the law allowed them to act now then that probability would be nil.

Scotland's gov. at least saw the issue with Kid's now going around with fighting dogs and changed their law last year to include dog on dog attacks and the offending dog would be removed and owner not allowed to keep dogs in the future, as they could also see those attacking dog's would also be involved with attacks on humans.

We have so many laws but at the end of the day useless, I did read in paper some guy due to a littering law got arrested for littering by letting the hair he'd brushed off of his dog go onto the ground in a park

CRAZY CRAZY World

Put the piece of crap down... Not the dog - you could probably train that to be better behaved. It is the owners responsibility they should be the ones punished. TBH if it has hurt your sis then that still classes under the dangerous dog act surely? I would be taking it further - IPCC???

different laws in scotland bud, my mate was looking after his sisters golden lab while they were on holiday, my mates daughter had the lab out a walk and it got a bit playfull with an other dog, dont think it even hurt it. police came round and charged my mate with some dog act law, because he was the responable for the dog, even tho he was not there when it all happend,

in your case its the owners bad training, an other guy i know has a staffy and its the softed lump youve ever met, its scared of other dogs. and its name "puppy dog"

hope your sisters dog is ok bud.

Agree totally with you guys, it would be the dog that pay's and he wouldn't even shed a tear if his dog put down, he'd just go out and buy another.

Also at the vets the surgeon was saying he does weekend cover at a vet hospital in wimbledon weekend and says it's very busy and 50% of the dogs brought in are fight injuries and said when he asks what type of dog was it most common is the pitbull followed by rotweiler

Sister is still in shock, she loves her dog's and well when I saw the injuries 'it was like my god' lucky to be alive and also able to get him to the vet's as lost so much blood

re-called the police as Dr. sister saw re. getting a tetanus jab mentioned the scratches should count as injury so the police now going to visit her tomorrow.

Update on this chav & his pitbull
Yesterday left his dog tied up out front of a mini-mart when a kid walked past with their dog and his dog got free and attacked them, from what Police have now said is their going to prosecute him and try and get an ASBO thing prohibiting him from owning dogs

Good I really do hope something happens. TBH I would be making the point that if he had been prosecuted the first time then this second attack wouldn't have happened!

Well it's a result of sorts not that ASBOs stop people all that well.

Personally I think the owners should be prosecuted as if they performed the act themselves i.e. he'd get GBH charges if his dog mauled someone.

It's only way to make people take the proper care imo.

Well it's a result of sorts not that ASBOs stop people all that well.

Personally I think the owners should be prosecuted as if they performed the act themselves i.e. he'd get GBH charges if his dog mauled someone.

It's only way to make people take the proper care imo.

Frankie Boyle - " Apparently they're going to bring in Super Asbos. But Asbos already sound too cool. Teenagers see them as a badge of honour. They should call them Gaybos or Bender Badges." :001_rolleyes:

Agree its not the dogs fault, its the way they are brought up. Have the owner held accountable.

One of the cops was telling me this fighting dog chav owning is getting worse and since stricture sentencing came about with carrying a knife.
The law should be that when owners with these dogs for fighting etc. are using them as weapons then they should prosecuted the same as if they are carrying a knife or gun.

Also saw on BBC news a father & son just been prosecuted for breeding and training dogs for fighting, but the sentences way too light and the father already had a lifetime ban on owning dog's for doing it before although son now has that as well, but what's the betting they'll back to it in a few months.

My parents have 2 dogs a Staffy and a Dalmation/Staffy cross both of which are from rescue centres. Unfortunately the Staffy is mean as anything and obviously there is nothing we can do about this due to the way the dog was brought up by someone/nobody previous to us.

And by mean im saying she will and has attacked other dogs. My parents have always paid for the vet bill of any other dog unlucky enough to be on the recieving end.

By your conclusion i presume you would have dogs like this put down? Its hard to tell the direction your rant was going in but that would essentially mean no-one would risk housing rescue centre dogs like we have, because we would then be liable to whatever consiquences you wish to impose through no fault of our own.

Without sounding like I am having ago, but it’s your parents responsibly to make sure that does not happen, not just pay for the vet bill when it does.

Dogs like that should be muzzled and kept on a long lead, what’s stopping that being a person next time.

I got chased by a doberman a few years ago that had a reputation of attacking people, I got away but the person who it went after next was not so lucky, needless to say the owners failed to control the dog on numerous occasions and it was put down.

My parents have 2 dogs a Staffy and a Dalmation/Staffy cross both of which are from rescue centres. Unfortunately the Staffy is mean as anything and obviously there is nothing we can do about this due to the way the dog was brought up by someone/nobody previous to us.

And by mean im saying she will and has attacked other dogs. My parents have always paid for the vet bill of any other dog unlucky enough to be on the recieving end.

By your conclusion i presume you would have dogs like this put down? Its hard to tell the direction your rant was going in but that would essentially mean no-one would risk housing rescue centre dogs like we have, because we would then be liable to whatever consiquences you wish to impose through no fault of our own.

Yes if like the guy I was talking about they have been training the dog for fighting and feeding it body builder stuff to beef it up, so the dog can then be used for fighting and attacking other dogs and used as a weapon if like this guy who is a drug dealer and so the dog protects him from being robbed when he's out and most likely to protect his stash of drugs back at home

So in that instance the dog does need putting down as it is no longer a pet but a danger to both dogs & people, agreed it was this guys fault in making it the way it is but your not going to remove that now esp. as it is a hunting dog it's default nature is to chase & attack, you can't rehouse that dog

I have 4 dogs in total and 2 dogs from battersea dogs home over the years so I'm not anti dog, but in the case of breeds which are used in this way, the best thing is to put them down.

Last edited:
But there are "no breeds which are used in this way". If you slaughter all of X breed, that person will just move to Y breed of dog. If they want to train a dog up they will train a dog up regardless. This is a very narrow minded approach.

If the guy admitted to training the dog up in that manner then hes a tool and he deserves putting down, not the dog lol.

If a dog is that aggressive then it should be punished, along with the owner. I'm sorry but if your dog attacks things then it shouldn't be let out. If you let it out and it attacks anything else both dog and owner should be punished.

I'm not saying its instant death penalty and prison for the owner. But there needs to be SOME protection out there, against repeat offenders or people seen to be inciting this kind of thing. How would these people feel if one of their kids got mauled by a dog and owner with a history of violence?

But there are "no breeds which are used in this way". If you slaughter all of X breed, that person will just move to Y breed of dog. If they want to train a dog up they will train a dog up regardless. This is a very narrow minded approach.

If the guy admitted to training the dog up in that manner then hes a tool and he deserves putting down, not the dog lol.

If you think no dog breeds are being trained to both fight other dogs and used as Weapons to protect their owners you may want to have a read of these sites

http://www.workingpitbull.com/dogfighting.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_fighting
http://www.blackdogrescueproject.com/pit-bull-fighting.html
http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/dog-fighting/pit-bull-cruelty.aspx
http://www.pitbull411.com/history.html

If you take the time, you'll see man has been doing this for a very long time, now these dogs have it in their system's and having witnessed the damage it did to a small dog and then heard what it did to a kid afterwards as far as I'm concerned there is no place for these animals in the civilised world.

Yes but what im saying is, its like anything in life if someone wants to do it, they will.

If someone wants to kill someone else, and you ban guns. They will get a knife. If someone wants to commit suicide and you ban (insert chemical here) they will step infront of a train instead. So to that extent, i imagine that if you ban pitbull/staffys etc, they will just find another breed of dog to "condition" for their means instead.

Im not saying it doesnt happen i know its happened hence Pitbulls being banned, but i dont see that as being the solution.

I agree with you that they would find another breed, but my point is they are and always have been hunting dogs when man needed to hunt and protect his animals if a farmer.

But inner city and where I live suburbia which is now nearly as densely populated as the inner city, there is no place for these types of dogs, especially as the owners are breeding them for both fighting and protection as unlike carrying a knife down the street they can walk this dog.

After the dog had mauled my sisters dog, the owner admitted he shouldn't have let the dog off the lead as it attacks other dogs and so if the owner/s cannot be responsible when owning this breed they should be banned and the owner prosecuted.

But if you've got someone living in an area where they do still need to hunt or protect themselves from bear's, wolves etc. fine let them own this kind of dog, because of the hundreds of years that is what this type of dog was for.

But they're not pet's they are working dogs which were used for hunting and killing and these owners don't own the dog because they love dogs they see it as a way of getting around gun/knife laws and so continue to train them to fight, this guy had already told his mates by the evening on the estate his dog mauled another dog like it was some trophy as that info got back to my sister.

100%owners fault the lad who owns the dog wants dropping of a bridge,now if you put the dog with the right person even in innercity areas i would give it another chance ive seen this done with my own eyes.look at the many x racing greyhounds what are bred to hunt chase kill that have been rehomed and make great pets.hope your sisters dog recovers well soon.