D.I.Y Caliper Painting Win!

Ashton

200T Test Pilot
Platinum Member
Last week i had some time off work and wanted to get my boring grey caliper sorted as i thought it was the 1 thing that was letting the cars appearance down.....at the moment

I had just had the the brakes bled so i didnt want to take the calipers off the lines so majority of the time i spent on this was down to prep and masking off the areas i didnt want covered in paint

First off i attacked the rears, they were just horrid. none of the original (bare)colour there what-so-ever

I removed the caliper/pads and also completely removed the carrier from the hub

Once this was off i attached the wire brush head to a pillar drill and brushed away 2 years worth of caked on brake dust and crud that left me with the original material

Then i masked of the bits that would attach back to the hub. I only wanted to paint the bits that would be visable (plus it also gave me something to hold onto as they were being painted)

Once they had been thouroughly degreased i used the spray on version of halfords caliper paint. I think in total they had about 5/6 coats of paint

2ujqtt1.jpg

Masking tape was then romoved and I set about masking up the rear arch etc

2vbot4j.jpg

It took a good while to make sure that all was masked off. The spraying was done taking my time. I was even quite geeky about warming up the spray can to temp and making sure that the surface of the caliper was warmed up and keyed properly

Final results of the rear set up after I had re-built them. I also cleaned up all the pads and re-fitted with copper grease on the edges and piston contact points for a snug fit

2uhbqjq.jpg

Then I pretty much did the same with the fronts although i kept the caliper attached to the hub. Good job really as i didnt have a hex bolt big enough for the caliper bolts

I also found out about how important it has been to keep the caliper pins copper greased all the times i have changed the pads. the pins came out with no issues at all. Looks like my new set of pins and brackets will be in my tool box for quite some time still

Once the pads were out I found the easiest way to cover up my lovely 330mm discs was to put a bag over the disc and then rotate it into the caliper. Then it was a case of masking up the arch and away we go again with the paint

2mq98us.jpg

I didnt know what colour Brembo logo to go for so i had a few made up (White, Black and Storm Grey)

I ended up going for the black as it was a mirror image of the black/red on my wheels (although im starting to want to swap them to grey now)

xp1y7t.jpg

The only dilema i had was do i lacquer or not. I opted for not as i heard loads of people lacquer running and also the heat turning it yellow

Here are the final results

332rs5l.jpg

1e9oy8.jpg

9082o6.jpg

Over all i am really happy with the results. I love the grey/black/red combo

I have a few more plans of things i want to do to the car but as always i may change my mind as my attention span is crap. To be honest im suprised i have had this car for 2 years.

Next on the list of things to to is a full retrim of the interior or maybe some fixed bucket seats (maybe some Recaro Pole Position)

Recaro-Pole-Position.jpg

Thanks for reading

A

Last edited:
Looks like you've really took your time and achieved a great result man.

Just one question - without lacquer, won't the decal peel off under the heat of the brakes?

Looks like you've really took your time and achieved a great result man.

Just one question - without lacquer, won't the decal peel off under the heat of the brakes?

Mine have been like this for about 2 months now, decals still look good as new. It's hardly the end of the world if they do peel off though. Without lacquer it's easy enough just to apply some new ones.

Looking good!

I need to get mine done also, the boring grey is really bugging me!

But I daren't attempt to do it myself.

i had the same thoughts for a bout 2 years and then i just thought fook it!

80% of thge time went into cleaning the calipers, prepping them for paint and masking up the arches etc

The painting side of things was a doddle....

STEP 1: SPRAY
STEP 2: DRINK TEA*

*REPEAT STEPS 1 & 2 UNTIL DESIRE FINISH IS REACHED

STEP 3: ADMIRE YOUR HANDY WORK LIKE A WINNER

It will look better once it has had a mahoosive clean on sunday

Propper 'wheels off' jobbie

Love the paint job. The seats though? Cobra Susuka Pro. Much better at holding you in the seat. Offers a lot more support than the Pole Positions. I sat in MikeH's at How Fast and loved them.

See here:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/seats/cobra-suzuka-pro-fit-kevlar-seat

I want one but can only really get 1 (for the driver) as I still need the passenger seat to move forward to get Jack in the back.

See if they'll do us a deal?

Last edited:
mate i tried 3 times and it keeps failing. I nearly chucked our brand new Sony Ultrabook through the window after the 3rd time of waiting 3 hours for YT to say no

Fecking Idiots

Last edited:
Much nicer, really ties the theme together. I always like to see someone spending a bit more time to get the job done correctly, good work.

Great job there, though I'm not a fan of the red callipers.

Cobra seats get another thumbs up from me and they'll tie in better with your flags :uk: