Cup springs fitted

So I have a track day coming up in September and I'm slow preparing the Clio for it when money allows.

Decided to purchase some Cup springs as my Clio is a non cup, I want to keep the car close to standard for when the time comes to sell it, don't want the hassle of taking off Eibachs or H&Rs.

So got round to fitting them yesterday, the fronts are not the easiest job on your own but I got there, the rears I did in less than half hour!! I'm so glad I changed them though as little did I know that my drivers side front spring was broken inside the rubber sleeve!! this would have been very hard to pick up on if I hadn't removed it!!

But I have noticed a difference in changing to just the cup springs, seems to be a more smooth ride and the car corners with a fair bit less body roll, all in all very happy!!

image.jpg

Seems pretty common for springs to go on these (and a lot of modern cars!) not sure why though.

Glad you got it sorted.

Look at the state of that.. Wow. Hopefully mine don't look like that when my mechanic finally gets around to doing my springs!

As Chris said, this is quite common. I'm not entirely sure why this happens, but I can only assume its poor quality materials or manufacturing process. If it makes you feel any better I used to park my Mk4 R32 on the drive. I came home one day only to find the tail of the bottom rear coil at the side of the house. After further inspection the other side had snapped too in the same place. Vw never accepted responsibility for anything wrong but they did replace a few under warranty if you were lucky enough for it to happen early in the cars life. Similar to here, many owners just used to bin the standard VW Racing setup. On those cars it was such a harsh ride.