Cup 200 – Random one (electrical)

Ironically there doesn't' appear to be a specific section for electrical questions on the forum so I'll just put this here!

Ok, so had my Clio a few weeks now and it’s been spot on so far. I have recently noticed a strange electrical phenomenon that I wonder you can help with.

On occasion the light behind my heater control nearest the driver (this one only) is sometimes slightly dimmer than it should be. Other times it’s at full brightness, but when I turn the knob on the centre control for the heat it triggers the reduction in light behind the knob nearest the driver and it stays like that until it randomly decides to go to full brightness again. At first I just figured = French car = sh*te electrics, but recently some other things have been happening: When I start the car in the mornings the radio is on as it should be (as I turn off the car with it still on), so it plays for a little while, then stops (possibly turns off and on again but doesn’t seem to power down just says ‘please wait’ on the digital display up top).

Then on top of this, Monday I got in it after work to drive home, start it up and ‘low battery’ warning popped up (light and indicator). I turned off ignition and on again twice and it cleared the problem. Then next day I went out at lunch and it started ok, but then randomly kangaroo’d and the all the dash lights came on (esp, etc etc.) I pulled over, turned it off and on again and it was ok after that. Reading up on it I suspect it needs a new battery (she is 5 years old) but I am also concerned that it could be related to the alternator as I have read a few other reports of cars with same symptoms.

At the moment it’s been fine and no low battery warnings at all. However the heater light being dim and the radio turning off randomly is still present. What do we reckon? I am aware French cars have gash electrics so fully expected something like this to happen.

Moved too interior and audio.

My radio plays until I open the door, when I've turned the engine off.

Moved too interior and audio.

My radio plays until I open the door, when I've turned the engine off.

Thanks.

Mine plays up until I turn off ignition completely, which has been the same as all my previous cars? However it appears not to be the case on the Clio. How odd. Also you guys are in 197's right (from your avatars) and not a 200 so perhaps they changed it?

Anyways, just went out at lunch and unlocked the car got in and nothing, nada, dead. Opened bonnet checked battery indicator and it's green. Tried key fob again to lock car and nothing. We have a booster thing at work so connected that, locked the car with fob and it just beeped constantly, unlocked it again, no problem. Also then got in and it srted up no bother. I am thinking immobilisers (possibly battery in fob) or faulty car battery despite it reading Green as ok? Any advice? Facking cars! :smiley:

200 is the same as the 197 when opening the door the radio and other auxilary electrics switch off lights/12v socket etc, does sound like a battery issue tho with electronics nowadays if they don't get the correct voltage it appears as faults in completely unrelated items, my bros car doesn't have a speedo when the battery is flat :/

Really. Ok that's interesting I'll maybe get a new battery then. Although it does should the green button up and it volt tested at 13 with the ignition off so not entirely sure that is the problem.

can you borrow a known good battery from someone? Might eliminate your battery as the issue, or go get the battery tested a lot of garages will do a free battery discharge test

Also test battery with engine running see what output from the alternator is May be the rectifier pack is fooked cheap aswel for an auto electrician to repair 40-50 quid

I think even Halfords offer a free battery test - called a drop test or something like that? Might not be free all the time, but I've definitely seen offers flying around for it.

Ok so funnily enough (depending on how you look at it) I broke down in Halfords car park the other day. That is to say the battery just died completely. Luckily enough I was near Halfords so bought a new one and fitted it there and then! The lad was very decent let me borrow the tools to do it. It's been fine so far but I do still have that dimmer section which randomly gets brighter but dims when I adjust the dial. Ho hum.

Also did some research on the radio turning off. It's because my Cup has a key and not a key card (I checked with the mechanic dude I bought the car off). It's only the keycard cars that switch off when the door opens.

I fixed the lighting problem inadvertently recently as well as making my fan work on the 4th speed again. I was installing the new head unit and it came with the patch leads etc to use the steering wheel controls. The leads were quite extensive so I had to take off the glovebox and tidy everything up from inside the dash so the head unit would fit in properly. I ended up putting as much of the wiring in behind the heater controls as I could and it was a very tight fit but worked well. To my surprise that night when I went out in the car the light for the heater controls was as bright as it should be always even when on and I also checked the heater and it was working on all speeds when it never ever worked on 4 before. So I guess it's just to do with loose wiring behind the heater controls and my head unit leads are keeping them in the right position. Before when the lights went dim I hit the left side of the console a tap and they would come on fully. Bottom line, renaults are poorly made but then that's no surprise.

I fixed the lighting problem inadvertently recently as well as making my fan work on the 4th speed again. I was installing the new head unit and it came with the patch leads etc to use the steering wheel controls. The leads were quite extensive so I had to take off the glovebox and tidy everything up from inside the dash so the head unit would fit in properly. I ended up putting as much of the wiring in behind the heater controls as I could and it was a very tight fit but worked well. To my surprise that night when I went out in the car the light for the heater controls was as bright as it should be always even when on and I also checked the heater and it was working on all speeds when it never ever worked on 4 before. So I guess it's just to do with loose wiring behind the heater controls and my head unit leads are keeping them in the right position. Before when the lights went dim I hit the left side of the console a tap and they would come on fully. Bottom line, renaults are poorly made but then that's no surprise.

So did you have the same light issue then dude?