Creaky Steering

Hi all, I replaced my track rod end on the passenger side on Friday afternoon and got it Hunter aligned that day also, I didn't drive it much yesterday, and it felt fine, but today, I can hear a creak from behind the steering wheel, like literally just behind it in the cabin only when turning left slowly or stationary, but not when turning right. Also, it seems to be wandering a bit? It's a bit windy today, but it didn't feel 'right' if that is the correct word to use. What should I be looking at first? Please don't tell me it is the steering rack :worried: Thanks

Could be anything, drop links get creaky when they start to go. Could also be the dreaded ball joint issue, mine started to creak and it turns out one of them is ****ed and the other side has play too. Luckily for me I've only had the car a few months and bought a warranty so they are being sorted in the next few week. Can be quite an expensive job, not many garage want to touch it with the work that can be involved. So hopefully it's not that in your case!

Can you replicate the issue stationary moving the steering from lock to lock? If you can replicate it it'll be easier to pinpoint.

Yeah I've seen them myself, mine used to creak when stationary which made it easier to pinpoint where it was coming from. I'm having mine changed in a couple of weeks, both sides, by a local garage that's done them before on a few other Clios so hopefully they'll do a good job.

Funnily enough mine used to do that and it turns out the left one is proper shot on mine, the right one has wear too but it's nowhere near as bad. Seems to do it as the cars weight loads up on that side, think roundabouts!