Creaking over speed bumps

CallorFold

Platinum Member
I was driving my Clio yesterday over some speed bumps and was hearing a horrible creaking sound from the front end.

Oddly enough, I've been back over the same speed bumps today, same speed, phone at the ready to record and nothing happened...typical

Sounded to me like a rusty spring, sort of like when you open an old gate with a self closure spring on it.

Very strange that it was there yesterday but not today, I'll have a quick visual check over the suspension to ensure a spring isn't snapped etc. but any other ideas what it could be?

At what sort of age/mileage can you expect to refresh suspension springs/shocks in the Clios? (Mine's a 2008, 197, non-cup)

What sort of cost are new shocks? And labour costs/garage time involved in swapping shocks and springs on all 4 corners? Anything else that's cost-effective to replace at the same time?

Brand new shocks all round would be £233.84 from here: http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk...oducts/clio-197-clio-200-steering-suspension/. Labour cost wise I suppose it depends on where you live. Most people have had lowering springs fitted all round for £100-£150. Considering you have to take out the front shocks to do this I'd reckon that's the price you're looking at plus the cost for tracking if you're getting them done at a garage with high labour costs.

You could also replace the top mounts if they're past it which are £45 each and the rear spring locating cups for £20 each side (both items are on the website posted above). Again this would depend on their condition and i'm not sure how much extra it would cost replacing the top mounts. The rear cups come out with the rear springs anyway afaik. I'd personally go the whole hog as it's something you won't have to worry about again for a long time.

Haha I know what you mean mate :smiley: I mean you could do the minimum that you need and you can get away with it but I believe if somethings worth doing it's worth doing right y'know. Then again I won't ever be selling the Clio so don't mind spending some cash. On the plus side, suspension is one of those things you'll feel straightaway. I wish I could say the same thing when I got the cambelt done :thumb1:

Although I would wait for someone more knowledgeable in regards to the top mounts. The rear spring cups are something you can always do yourself afterwards if need be so you can discount those too.

Plenty of useful info anyway so thanks [MENTION=53102]DS197[/MENTION] :smile: like you say, it's worth doing right and not skimping

No worries mate, let us know how you get on and if you find out what's causing the noise :smile:

Seems you've got a lot of info already, just wanted to add that one of my front springs snapped at the end of last year at ~83k miles, on a 57 plate. Original springs from factory. I replaced them as a pair...paid a lot due to it being a main dealer. Best of luck with it all.

Also are you sure it's from the suspension? This might sound mental but I was hearing a nasty creaking over bumps and thought something under the car needed changed....it was the drivers seat needing lubricated!

Also are you sure it's from the suspension? This might sound mental but I was hearing a nasty creaking over bumps and thought something under the car needed changed....it was the drivers seat needing lubricated!

I wish it was that simple :worried: unfortunately it seems to be coming from outside of the cabin. If it ever stops raining I'll have a bash at jacking up the car and taking the wheels off to check over the front springs. Still find it odd it was happening yesterday, but the drive home today it was perfectly fine.

Seems you've got a lot of info already, just wanted to add that one of my front springs snapped at the end of last year at ~83k miles, on a 57 plate. Original springs from factory. I replaced them as a pair...paid a lot due to it being a main dealer. Best of luck with it all.

Yeah I've seen on here before the price people have paid for OEM springs. If I had to go with the spring replacement route I'd be grabbing some Eibachs I think (don't fancy the big drop from H&R's). Springs on mine are original/factory, currently sitting on ~65K

Last edited:
May as well get the blistein coils mate as Chris said. They've received some good reviews and are apparently better than original damping even when low.