Cool spring failure, replacement options/worries

Morning all,

basically my my car failed its mot yesterday for a broken coil spring, so I've asked the garage to replace both fronts. They came back to me saying that the only options are from renault or euro, but they did say that the euro parts were confirmed as being for the cup edition 197 so I decided to plump for these.

now the more I think about it I'm concerned that the euro ones won't be near the quality of the renault specific springs and will affect the handling of the car. Because the parts have to be ordered in anyway, I'm now debating whether to change the order.

this is at a local independent garage for reference and not renault.

any help with this will be greatly appreciated,

ryan

Out of interest, what price are they charging for the Springs? Might it be worth upgrading to some Eibachs (all round) or something instead (small 20/25mm drop)?

Last edited:
They're charging £85 per spring inc vat, don't really want to lower the car due to the state of the roads down here in cornwall.

Based on that you can grab a full set of Eibachs for ~£170 it might be well worth considering? I've not got them fitted myself, but it's definitely a route I'd consider taking if I was in your position :smile:

Yeh I did consider this yesterday. It's been a nightmare really as I've been away with work for 4 months, put the car straight in for its mot and now it's failed I'm kind of stuck and just need it back on the road asap.

At least you haven't been driving round on a snapped coil for 4 months instead :smile: Sounds like a right pain though, hope you get it sorted and back on the road soon :smile:

When that happened to my car I got a set of h&r springs, as they are good quality and good price, I probably would have got eibachs but the h&r's were reduced. But they firm up the ride a bit.

Mine snapped a front spring, it's the 3rd one that I know of according to the history I have.
I decided even Renault ones weren't up to much so bought a set of cooksports to see how last

Both my fronts snapped and I went the H&R route and am very pleased. Mine snapped where the plastic oversleeve is, where have yours gone?

Go for Eibach or cooksport, both give a smaller drop compared to the h&r. Also reports back is the ride comfort is very similar on them.

referring to what you've mentioned above that the roads around you are bad,i would go for some springs with a smaller drop..will give you enough clearance and the ride wont become that harsh..
plus you have a much better stance that suits the car very well..

Girlfriends 200 front left spring snapped £101 from Renault last month....she thinks the drivers side has snapped aswel, said to her could of bought a set of cooksports for£190...woman know best aye