clutch suddenly gone stiff

went out for a half hour blast this afternoon around some country roads and on my way home driving at normal speeds my clutch went a bit stiffer and the peddle seems to have come up a touch further but that could just be me,the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping and the cars only done 25,000 miles,anyone got any ideas?

Hello guys! I have exatly the same problem: I was draving yesterday for an hour, a bit faster the last 20 minutes, and when I went back into the car 3 hours later, I felt the clutch stiffer as normal. I realised also that the pedal was slower while releasing the clatch. Today morning, it was hard at the beginning to get into first gear... could it be the master or the slave cylinder?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

You could try bleeding the clutch slave cylinder see if that helps, there's a guide on here somewhere iirc, but if that doesn't work I'd suspect somethings on it's way out and will likely mean a gearbox off job to fix! - So basically a new clutch job.

Also check all the vac pipes going to the master cylinder are secure, they can cause some strange issues if they work loose or have a crack in as I found out on one of my previous cars!

Clutches/clutch components can let go at any time/mileage really. A low mileage car, unless it's only been driven at weekends, will likely have seen more clutch use (from short journeys/town driving) than say a car with high miles (more motorway work). Not always the case, but just don't always assume low mileage = plenty of life left in the clutch, you never really know how the car's been driven unless you've owned it from new?