197: Close Calls...

I love the car I really do, but due to the nature of the engine by the time your getting the engine to sing its heading well into illegal figures..

Today was my closest call to date...ever and its rattled me a bit.
Drove past a parked police car...doing 110 leptons... and not only that, It was a 50 zone. (The A1/M62 sounthbound link if anyone knows it).
My heart sunk and I was just waiting for the blue lights to come on and to chase me down. I Thank god himself he didn't move.. but I cant honestly think why.
The rest of the journey was done at 60 leptons to let my heart rate settle.:innocent:

Last edited:
Not only that, the speed you can do round corners is naughty!! Even so ive been told I was on the edge... My reply was you should drive it.. Loads of grip left. He didnt look best pleased but it was true...

It's just a waiting game to see if you get anything through the post! Hope it's not a :woody:

I didnt think the police could do that. Only scamera partnerships. Don't the police have to chase you down and serve you with NIP?

Yea mate at that speed they would have came after u. U got away with but be carefull or u will end up in deep deep doo doo

I had one just yesterday... Coming over the brow of a hill in a 30MPH, doing around 35MPH as I'd been climbing up hill, I'd let off the throttle and the speedo was just running down on it's own without me breaking when I saw the two guys with the camera and a ''Your Speed Is'' board... Strangely the board didn't show my speed, which I don't know is a good thing or not!?! Anyway, I estimate my speed was around 33MPH, certainly not over 35MPH going off the speedo. I must admit I am a bit nervous now as to wether anything appears in the post, I really hope it doesn't but you never know. Fingers crossed!!! :smile:

Got caught doing 225km/hour heading towards calais after being late for my ferry, the french coppers pulled me over but luckily i got away with nothing. Still don't know as i should have been fined it was the closest call i have ever had.

I don't drive particularly fast anymore due to losing a family member in a car accident.

But have a little burn every now and then...

Driving down a dual carriageway on the Leeds ring road earlier in the week and was zipping between the traffic lights... looked over to my left at the final set of lights before rocketing off... unmarked estate car with a camera facing out the back window...

needless to say, I pulled away vveerrrrry slowly after that!

I am too much of a wimp to go above 85 really :worried: (can't loose my licence) But I know what you mean these cars have so much more to give at 'legal' speeds, it is very tempting.

I think we need to get the government to build more tunnels at least then we can have some fun in 1st and 2nd gears!! :drool:

OP - you need to do a few track days, then ull realise that driving even like a loon on the road is boring compared...

It slowed me right down tbh, no point, ull never properly get near the limits without getting to some quite silly speeds.

(It was on a motorway) It goes from a 70 to a fifty. I put my foot down to make a gap for the sliproad.
Regardless - it's stupid.

Above 100mph - instant driving ban in most cases.

No matter how stupid I drive, I try to never go above 20/30mph over the set limit because it's more or less game over.

Every time I do get close to breaking the law at that level, I remind myself of how much I would miss driving for 12-36 months and how I'd probably have to leave my job and that it would all be one downward spiral...

Not worth it man.

Call me boring... IDC.

I'd rather be there late than never!

So your car is stopping you from having self control, being sensible and sticking to the speed limit???

Either get on track to go fast, or buy a 1.2.

If you cant control your speed, then the sooner the police control it for you, the better.

Agree with others on takin down to a track. Once youve passed a few scoobys, audis, fords etc you stop feeling the need to prove anything :smile:

I'm lucky I live in Germany at the moment and it is awesome to be on a Autobahn and being able to wind up the Clio to a GPS speed of 143mph and overtake Police. The Only depressing thing no matter how fast your going on the Autobahn there is always someone faster behind you. I once got overtaken by a green lambo who gave me the thumbs up for effort in my lil Clio.