Clio/Megane RS owners at the Nurburgring (and abit of tyre talk)

Was at the ring last weekend and it was great to see a number of fellow RS owners from all over Europe in attendance.

On the way to and from the circuit owners exchanged numerous waves, flashes of headlights almost minutes within of each at times. Great to see and hardly any of them were UK plated too. Nice to see and a great friendly bunch RS owners are :smile:

Even on returning home I was coming out of the office and got a thumbs up from a fellow Megane RS owner. He probably thought my car looked shocking as it was more brown than white!

Great weekend. Maybe this part should go to the Tyres section but I've now tested R1Rs comprehensively with 595s at the Ring. I decided to try 595s this time around and I have to say I personally don't rate them. Ok, the Ring was fairly cold all weekend by contrast but I just couldn't get consistency from them whereas I've always been impressed by the R1Rs in warm, coldish, wet conditions. I played with pressures all weekend, and they seem to work better in dry but cooler conditions (bizarre). On a warmer, dry day they were not that progressive during turn in and it just felt there was alot of sidewall movement. Odd.

I managed 9 min laps on them in the right conditions but I will be moving back to either R1Rs or 888s next time. Anyway, just thought I'd share this as there's always debate as to which people prefer.

Cheers
Simon

I use 888's generally (or Federal FZ01... or whatever they are called when stock allows). I cant imagine running on a more road based tyre.... just because I have never really done it (in the clio at least).

MAx grip = less chance of fail...... maybe?!?! lol

If I needed a more road biased tyre the AD08s I had were so good I wouldn't think twice even if others are cheaper.

R888s though seem for me to not suit the standard setup, yes you have even more grip which is great at the front but not needed at the rear.
Great fun on roundabouts though :smiley:
Needs some stiffer rear springs or an arb maybe, still yet to get either though maybe soon.

R888s would be the ideal tyre for me personally but as I drive the car occasionally on road for work I didn't want to be wasting them (no spare wheels). The R1Rs were a fantastic tyre in terms of an overall compromise and on track were very impressive last year. I'd heard really good things about these Federals but unless I'm doing something wrong in terms of pressures, they are not a patch on the Toyos.

Out of interest, if anyone has also been running 595s, what pressures have you been using generally speaking? I know ambient temperature/track plays a part but would be useful to know what others are doing.

I'll have to get the use of out of these Federals now, just need to book another track-day :smile:

I had RSR's last year and despite the recommendations from others i didn't get along with them. Firstly the quality of the tyre was rubbish, huge chunks started falling of one of the tyres and it cracked down the side wall (this happened with only one tyre so probably just a poorly made one). I ran various pressures and nothing was ideal however i have to say they coped well in the heat and lasted a fair amount of time. I'm now using Yoko Advans which i find are much better for track and occasional road use, their side walls are also stiffer compared to the Federals.