Clio is poorly, need some help guys...

Clio 197 has been holding back and feeling pretty sluggish lately, seems to make a lot of noise but doesn't really go anywhere. So...

Got it scanned at a local garage who said it had a couple of Dephaser related codes (won't tell me exactly what the codes were), so those were cleared and now i've got an OBD app for my phone i'm able to see that the car has now thrown a wobbly and has a permanent code showing, as soon as i clear it it comes back right away...

Fault Code: P0300 Random Multiple missfire detected

Doing some research it seems that that particular code ending in 00 means the missfire is hoping between cylinders randomly so taking info from here (LINK)i've compiled a list of things that need looking at, this is where you lot come in...

1. Faulty Spark Plugs Or Wires Will order new plugs but untill then i've had a quick look at the wires and plugs around the tops of the coil packs and all seems OK. Anything else i can do here? (unsure if a faulty plug would cause missfires across all cylinders, unless ALL plugs have gone faulty at the same time?)

2. Faulty Coil Pack Any way to diagnose this?

3. Faulty Oxygen Sensors Which sensors is this referring to, and how do i check if they are OK?

4. Faulty Fuel Injectors How can i diagnose this?

5. Burned Exhaust Valve What is this, and how can it be checked?

6. Faulty Catalytic Convertor How can this be checked, and could it cause missfires?

7. Stuck/Blocked EGR valve Where is this on the Clio, and what am i looking for here, choked up and blockages?

8. Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor Have taken this out and had a quick look but cant really see much. Short of replacing it how can this be diagnosed?

9. Air Leaks/Un metered Air Where can i look for leaks? My noise trumpet has been removed and the vac pipe has been blocked securely (actual solenoid valve is still electrically connected, as you would when fitting an aftermarket intake)

Any info on any of the above would be greatly appreciated as this car is really starting to hack me off now, not had it long and it seems full of problems! Car is having a cambelt and dephaser pulley fitted in the next 2 weeks so maybe the new pulley will help?

Last edited:
Have you tried refitted the vac trumpet, could be the issue. On another note renaults clip diagnostics will tell you more than any code reader tool, maybe you should try renault.

Have you tried refitted the vac trumpet, could be the issue. On another note renaults clip diagnostics will tell you more than any code reader tool, maybe you should try renault.

Just re fitting the trumpet now. Didn't realise Renault tests were any more accurate, do you think they might be able to pin point the issue?

Does it drive better, renaults equipment is alot better and should narrow it down. With a misfire should be either plugs coilpacks or injectors.

You may need to drive it for abit for the ecu to learn and see if the faults still there

You may need to drive it for abit for the ecu to learn and see if the faults still there

Code now seems to have gone now the trumpet is refitted, how is that possible? What if I wanted an ITG Maxogen kit fitted, would that throw the code again? Surely everyone with supermarket intakes don't have permanent missfire codes?

Car drives just the same as it did with trumpet removed.

Trumpet doesn't need to be there but the vacuum hose from the Inlet that runs through the sensor on the Trumpet base needs to stay connected up and the last little bit of vacuum hose that will be dangling along your inner-wing needs blanking off. A self-tapper works perfectly. :wink:

I know, i left the little valve in the car with the elcetrical plug connected and blanked off the vac hose with a bush that i turned up on a lathe.

So i'm pretty sure its not related to that tbh.

Will post a pic tomorrow of what i done. I've bypassed and blanked off a few valves and solenoids on turbo cars before so i know the theory behind blanking things and keeping the ECU happy. Just can't for the life of me see that removing the trumpet on the clio would throw codes?

Last edited:
Gremlin in the system. :smile:

Seems like it, not a happy bunny with the Clio at the minute.

• Sluggish
  • Knocking on gear change
  • Gearstick whipping about when on and off throttle
  • Throwing missfire Codes
  • Not letting me remove trumpet
  • Knocking coming from suspension that no one can diagnose
  • Dephaser pulley codes
  • Cambelt looming

Bough the Clio as the 172 Cup i had a couple of years ago was simple and loved being thrashed daily with no problems. Also was getting tired of chasing power and keeping on top of all the little niggles that VAG cars bring. I can see me ditching the Clio and getting a Golf R32 or something if it doesn't sort itself out pretty sharpish. If i'm going to have to start chasing problems again i may as well have a powerful car to do it on.

Clio 197 has been holding back and feeling pretty sluggish lately, seems to make a lot of noise but doesn't really go anywhere. So...

Got it scanned at a local garage who said it had a couple of Dephaser related codes (won't tell me exactly what the codes were), so those were cleared and now i've got an OBD app for my phone i'm able to see that the car has now thrown a wobbly and has a permanent code showing, as soon as i clear it it comes back right away...

Fault Code: P0300 Random Multiple missfire detected

Doing some research it seems that that particular code ending in 00 means the missfire is hoping between cylinders randomly so taking info from here (LINK)i've compiled a list of things that need looking at, this is where you lot come in...

1. Faulty Spark Plugs Or Wires Will order new plugs but untill then i've had a quick look at the wires and plugs around the tops of the coil packs and all seems OK. Anything else i can do here? (unsure if a faulty plug would cause missfires across all cylinders, unless ALL plugs have gone faulty at the same time?) - it shouldnt - thats the point of the code the ecu isnt sure why there is a miss-fire

2. Faulty Coil Pack Any way to diagnose this? - if it was this then the ecu could idenify the cylinder it was on

3. Faulty Oxygen Sensors Which sensors is this referring to, and how do i check if they are OK? - there are 2 - first one for the cat the second is to monitor the first to mkae sure it working within range etc

4. Faulty Fuel Injectors How can i diagnose this? - ecu should be able to pick this up

5. Burned Exhaust Valve What is this, and how can it be checked? - burnt valve and the miss-fire would be there all the time - compression test would show it up

6. Faulty Catalytic Convertor How can this be checked, and could it cause missfires? - cannot see this being the issue

7. Stuck/Blocked EGR valve Where is this on the Clio, and what am i looking for here, choked up and blockages? - clio does not have an egr valve

8. Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor Have taken this out and had a quick look but cant really see much. Short of replacing it how can this be diagnosed? - can you compare the resistance reading with a known "good one"?

9. Air Leaks/Un metered Air Where can i look for leaks? My noise trumpet has been removed and the vac pipe has been blocked securely (actual solenoid valve is still electrically connected, as you would when fitting an aftermarket intake) - air leaks - spray round with something like brake cleaner - if theres a leak the engine revs will change

Any info on any of the above would be greatly appreciated as this car is really starting to hack me off now, not had it long and it seems full of problems! Car is having a cambelt and dephaser pulley fitted in the next 2 weeks so maybe the new pulley will help?

a few replies to your queries

there is also the case of poor fuel something that may not be detected or realised until you have used it up and and the engine has run on good fuel...

it does happen and with the stations running dry due to the panic buying it could happen :'(

also check round the wiring plugs that go to the engine electrics etc - could be a bad connection etc

You're thoughts on removal of the trumpet causing the issue?

for me only an "issue" if the vaccum pipe wasnt blocked off - as when the valve is activated via the ecu it would leak un-metered air into the engine

as for using it without the solenoid connected again i dont think it puts the light on straight away - it takes a while for it to see it missing!

what you have to remember is that the obd2 system and the 3-way catalyst system is for emission compliance and the engine codes etc like mis-fire are there to meet that requirement and report when the engine does not meet those standards

all the basics must be checked first before throwing money at the fault

it could be a bad earth causing the problem or as simple as the engine moving and slightly pulling an electrical plug causing a bad connection...

its never easy to diagnose over the internet - but suggestions etc can help

Thanks, I'm confident that the pipe was blocked securely but will leave the trumpet back on there for now and see what happens. Any suggestions are very helpful as they at least point me in the right direction. Just wish I had a decent local place that know the car/engine.