Clio 200 or Megane 250....

Hi guys,

I would like some expert advice on the dilemma I have at the moment.

I can't decide whether to get a fully loaded Clio 200 for around 8-10k or spend slightly more and pick up a barebone Megane 250 Cup for around 11k.

For those who have driven both cars or owned both cars, especially, any tips or advice?

Megane seems like better value for the money, but not sure what the resale is going to be like without any options that most people want (namely recaro seats).

Also, is Renault reliability really that bad? I have never owned a Renault before so kind of taking a leap of faith here. In my price range, the car I will buy will most likely not have any warranty left so that worries me a little too...

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've got a 200 & 265 so i have a decent idea on both.

Firstly they are massively different to drive and live with. You can be very lazy with the meg and make tons of progress unlike the clio which you have to drive. That i may add is no bad thing, on the limit the clio wins for fun.

Recaros are fantastic but they are not to everyones liking but then again neither is the cup chassis. I wouldn't be basing the decision on options more on your day to day use and which car suits you best.

Both have similar running cost with the meg being slightly worse for me.

as for reliability, a car is a car and it can go wrong at any point HOWEVER the MK3 Meg is extremely reliable and warranty claims have gone down loads since its release. That can not be said for the clio sadly.

Personally if i had to get rid of one it would be the 200, especially as we are a family of 5 and it only has 4 seats. The best thing you can do is find a decent dealer that will spend time with you and drive both back to back.

Had a 197 for years and now have a 250. IMO it depends what your after from the car. If its a daily ride with some B road blasts and the occasional trackday it'd be the megane as it drives very well and is roomy and refined.

The clio would be much better suited to someone looking to do more trackdays and fast road driving. It can be more fun on a road better suited to it, but no mistake the meg is a seriously capable car!

If there is only £1k difference in price then get the Meg its a no brainer! The Clio is an old model now (has been replaced by the Mk4 platform) whereas the Meg is still a current model.

I owned a 250 cup for 3 years before swapping into a 200 and would say go for the 250 if you are going to use it as your daily. I didn't have 1 thing go wrong in the 250 and found the driveability and power great. If my circumstances changed and I needed 1 car that did everything I wouldn't hesitate to go for the 250.

I've got a company car now so the 200 is just for weekend fun :smile:

It just doesn't get any easier haha

I will only use the car on weekends as I walk to work.

Something about getting a 'base model' megane with no options just bugs me LOL

I guess it's not something I can do unless I pay extra.... the whole idea of downgrading from my previous car was to spend less on a car as I don't use it much, but greed is getting to me as usual!

Opinions please....

2010 Megane 250 Cup with around 26,000 miles, MOT Apr 2014, Tax Dec 2013.
No options other than DRL I believe. Is £11,250 a good deal? All 4 tyres recently changed as well.

Opinions please....

No options other than DRL I believe. Is £11,250 a good deal? All 4 tyres recently changed as well.

I'd check what tyres it's had put on as they're not cheap and new crap tyres are not what you want. Price seems pretty good though

Buy the Meg 250 as Mentalpen said you can beat it as an all rounder I did miss my 200 until my first track day and it was just stunning in the Meg plus 47mpg a 68mph

I'd check what tyres it's had put on as they're not cheap and new crap tyres are not what you want. Price seems pretty good though

I'll have to ask what they were. The brand name was something a bit obscure, but he said it came 2nd in Evo tyre test or something like that...

Ok. Checked with the seller and the tyres are Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.
Don't know why I thought they were some obscure brand. Must have misheard him LOL Less than 800 miles on them.

good tyres, especially in the wet. I went from a 197 to a 250 in April last year. The Clio is definitely more fun and hardcore but you really have to work for it. I use the 250 everyday and its loads more laid back and comfortable. My mate has a Cayman and he hates it when we go for a drive, he's always getting left behind! And if its still not quick enough, a remap is good for nearly 300bhp. I actually find the 250 slightly better on fuel than the Clio was as well. Round town I average 31-32mpg

Opinions please....

WOW, where did you find that so cheap??

Sounds like I should take it :biggrin:
It was on pistonhead, but no longer there. I think the ad expired.
Oh and it has Remus stainless steel exhaust. Not sure how they sound or if it's a good thing that it's on the car though.

Don't forget on the cup you get the chassis with all important mechanical diff