Clio 200 EDC vs. Fiesta ST vs. Peugeot 208 GTi on Fifth Gear tonight

So a selling point of the New Clio is that in race mode the shift speeds are 150milliseconds and the launch control

Not to mention the multiple downshift

Oh and the hydraulic compression dampers that are fantastic on track

None of this was featured?

They used the launch control on the 1/4 mile, it looked like it was in auto though didnt see Plato use the paddles? Might be wrong though Mrs was distracting me.

In launch control you have you shift or it just bounces off the limiter iirc

Wasn't hard to do either, race mode, hit brake, hold both paddles, floor it and launch when ready.

Or something like that anyway

You can have launch control in sport auto, sport manual (traction, esp and esc on) and race manual (all aids propper off)

one thing that was annoying tiff was the fact the paddles didnt go round with the steering wheel. so when he was wanting to change down he was hitting up etc.... alsi it wouldnt change down when he wanted. but for the test, he didnt have to put it in sport mode or use launch control.

argument to that is...... of the ST or the GTI had them, then they would of used it on them too, so........

The test was "fiddled". A number of things stood out to me.

1. They didnt use race mode on the 200 during the drag race. This would have surely handed victory in test 1 to the Clio?
2. The whole "Le-Mans" style start (And turn off the electronic police) on the auto test was just there to make the Clio look silly with them knowing fine well that the Clio is very electronic dependant/more advanced.
3. Real world I reckon the ST and Clio should have been the final "shoot-out" cars as the Clio would have won the drag race and the ST the auto test. Ultimately the Clio would have had the best lap time (I think) but the ST would have been "more fun".

Would you not rather have seen the Clio given the chance on track then? Its not really a real life test, but perhaps more relevant than an auto test in my book.

Fifth Gear did the same test (Without the silly Le-Mans style start) with the Clio 197 Cup vs. Mini Cooper S and the Clio trounced the Mini. Test was relevant then but not now?

Fifth Gear did the same test (Without the silly Le-Mans style start) with the Clio 197 Cup vs. Mini Cooper S and the Clio trounced the Mini. Test was relevant then but not now?

I didnt see that one, but for me an auto test is not really the point. Here you have a chance to test some cars that guys like us can really own, and the TV shows mess about instead of giving us a really good insight. Like you said, the Clio was always going to lose out the way it was run, and it never got its chance on the track.

i couldnt understand why plato was in auto on the drag race, made it obvious aswell. Was it in sport auto or is sort mode only available in manual mode

You can have launch control in sport auto, sport manual (traction, esp and esc on) and race manual (all aids propper off)

kk, when I did it the instructor showed me to put it into race manual so I thought you had to have it in there.

Never been a fan of fifth gear, this proves a point tbh.

Fifth Gear is by far and away the best "car review" program on TV. Much better than Top Gear IMO.

For those that missed it, its on Youtube:

[video=youtube;Yjm8BhhzFAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjm8BhhzFAQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

it is better then top gear, but these hot hatch tests are fiddled, you only have to look at the gt86 vs megane 265, the megane lost to due, 1st test the driver and second test being front wheel drive and doing a drift test. alot of bandwagon renault bashing going on i think