CLIO 197 v R3

TRC1418

Paid Member
Hi there,

Really need some help here.. Could someone list the parts used on a Clio R3 different to the 197? or provide a spec sheet/notes for the R3?

Clio r3 (maxi 230/250) use:
different engine (airbox, piston, cams, head, no phase shifter, exhaust manifold, exhaust) , brakes pump, front axis, rear axis, suspension, gearbox, clutch, magneti marelli ecu....

Clio r3 access use:
Different airbox
Different engine: only exhaust or inlet cam (i don't remember)
Different suspension
First cat emptied

maybe i forgot something...

here are the parts http://www.renaultsport.com/-Pieces-detachees-.html
to much to list, the R3 is far from the 197

I know it is well out, I'm thinking of doing an R3 conversion on a normal 197 but not sure yet needed to know every detail other than the obvious, some companies do an R3 kit you can buy to convert your 197 for probably just under 10 grand but I think I'll be able to source some of the parts elsewhere. Thanks a lot for that though gonna have a read through now! :smile:

Clio r3 (maxi 230/250) use:
different engine (airbox, piston, cams, head, no phase shifter, exhaust manifold, exhaust) , brakes pump, front axis, rear axis, suspension, gearbox, clutch, magneti marelli ecu....

Clio r3 access use:
Different airbox
Different engine: only exhaust or inlet cam (i don't remember)
Different suspension
First cat emptied

maybe i forgot something...

I've tried to find the Marelli ECU online to buy but can't find it :S.. It is the Clio V6 airbox though isn't it? And I've found a single exit R3 exhaust and manifold. Just getting the easy parts first. Thank you though appreciate your advice!

IIRC the Marelli ECU will only operate the essentials of the car and won't operate everything that's in your 197.

The R3 uses its own airbox, to fit this you will need to move the radiator expansion tank. The Cup race car uses the V6 airbox, both airboxes require the battery to be moved.

Bear in mind that the Cup race car and R3 are totally different cars with different engine, suspension, airbox, brakes and wheel setups.

If you need an R3 airbox let me know but if using it on the road it will be crap. They are designed to give peak power at the upper rev range at the expense of low down power. This is fine if you are a rally driver keeping the engine on the boil but if you just want to look good down McDonalds I wouldn't bother with the R3 airbox.

IIRC the Marelli ECU will only operate the essentials of the car and won't operate everything that's in your 197.

The R3 uses its own airbox, to fit this you will need to move the radiator expansion tank. The Cup race car uses the V6 airbox, both airboxes require the battery to be moved.

Bear in mind that the Cup race car and R3 are totally different cars with different engine, suspension, airbox, brakes and wheel setups.

If you need an R3 airbox let me know but if using it on the road it will be crap. They are designed to give peak power at the upper rev range at the expense of low down power. This is fine if you are a rally driver keeping the engine on the boil but if you just want to look good down McDonalds I wouldn't bother with the R3 airbox.

Yeah I've seen the battery moved to the boot on most, or that Varley Redtop battery used instead.

I know they are basically two different cars, but a lot of teams start off with a 197 and either give it to a company who change the whole thing and gut it out or do it themselves, this will be a bit of both I think.

I've gone for my National B license start of next year around my birthday, so have started sorting out a car. I haven't even got another 197 yet lol literally just digging around and doing my homework before I start throwing my money at this.

You should be able to source most of the parts from current teams, anything new is probably gonna be through RSport in Wimbledon.

If you need any lightweight parts, doorcards, tailgate, sumpguards, lightpods, mirrors, etc we can do these at good prices. As a paid member you get 10% discount. Not everything for the R3 is on the website so just ask if you need anything.

What series are you hoping to race in?

Your best bet is to first of all pick a series, not a car. Then you can buy or build a car to suit the regs of the series you choose...

You should be able to source most of the parts from current teams, anything new is probably gonna be through RSport in Wimbledon.

If you need any lightweight parts, doorcards, tailgate, sumpguards, lightpods, mirrors, etc we can do these at good prices. As a paid member you get 10% discount. Not everything for the R3 is on the website so just ask if you need anything.

thanks! Will have a look now and stay in touch, thanks for your advice as well.

What series are you hoping to race in?

Your best bet is to first of all pick a series, not a car. Then you can buy or build a car to suit the regs of the series you choose...

Thats why I haven't bought the car yet, but I'd be most at home in a clio compared to what ever else I've driven but obviously with racing its a whole different ball game.

Do you know where I can see all of the series? I haven't seen that many to be honest.

MSA website will list them all; msauk.org

You'll also need to join a racing club, BARC, BRSCC, or other relevant motor racing club. Each club will run it's own series/events and to compete in any you'll need to be registered with one of those first. Off the top of my head Clio Cup UK is ran by BARC for example. There's so so so many clubman series in this country, you really need to get onto the MSA website and have a good read and a research. It's not quite as simple as just buying a car and doing your licence and then turning up at a track unfortunately...

If you want a Clio then why not look at picking up a 172 or 182 Cup car? They're a very good price now and most will come with a data package or spares package of some sort. It's always cheaper to buy rather than build but it's not as fun doing it that way!!! If you're looking at spending ~£10,000 to get a 197 to race spec' then you need to be REALLY wanting to drive a 197. For that money you'll be able to pick up countles other tin tips and you'll have a very good choice of single seaters too...

Endurance or team racing will give you more for your money for example. That'd also let you split the cost with a partner. You need to factor in not just the cost of buying/building the car in the first place but also things like logistics; Do you have a trailer or tow vehicle yet? A decent trailer will cost you around £3,000 secondhand. You'll need a caravan or decent awning/camping setup too. Then of course there's the consumables through the year (oil, fuel, pads, discs, tyres, wheel bearings) not including any damaged parts you'll need to replace over a season or even over a weekend.

You really need to do your homework before you spend anything.

I'm not trying to put you off by the way!!! :smiley:

Last edited:
MSA website will list them all; msauk.org

You'll also need to join a racing club, BARC, BRSCC, or other relevant motor racing club. Each club will run it's own series/events and to compete in any you'll need to be registered with one of those first. Off the top of my head Clio Cup UK is ran by BARC for example. There's so so so many clubman series in this country, you really need to get onto the MSA website and have a good read and a research. It's not quite as simple as just buying a car and doing your licence and then turning up at a track unfortunately...

If you want a Clio then why not look at picking up a 172 or 182 Cup car? They're a very good price now and most will come with a data package or spares package of some sort. It's always cheaper to buy rather than build but it's not as fun doing it that way!!! If you're looking at spending ~£10,000 to get a 197 to race spec' then you need to be REALLY wanting to drive a 197. For that money you'll be able to pick up countles other tin tips and you'll have a very good choice of single seaters too...

Endurance or team racing will give you more for your money for example. That'd also let you split the cost with a partner. You need to factor in not just the cost of buying/building the car in the first place but also things like logistics; Do you have a trailer or tow vehicle yet? A decent trailer will cost you around £3,000 secondhand. You'll need a caravan or decent awning/camping setup too. Then of course there's the consumables through the year (oil, fuel, pads, discs, tyres, wheel bearings) not including any damaged parts you'll need to replace over a season or even over a weekend.

You really need to do your homework before you spend anything.

I'm not trying to put you off by the way!!! :smiley:

You would be suprised how much parts I have and how much access I have to certain parts as my best friend runs a garage so we get a lot of bits at trade or less too, it's only really the R3 parts that I will struggle on i.e Engine components such as uprated cams, pistons, etc. but I'm in the process of sorting this now. I'm not really worrying about the cost yet until I start seeing solid figures, and I absolutely hate clio 172s lol

I NEVER thought it was as simple as turning up to the track and saying go, I already knew it was exactly as you've described it, as for a trailer, I have access to a very good one so that's not a problem, the camping thing is another episode to be honest haven't got round to that yet.

The only thing I was really puzzled on was what series to try to get involved in and going about spec'ing the car correctly for it so I will check out MSA properly over the next few months, but like I say I haven't even got my NB yet, so that's another hurdle for a few months down the line.

I don't have anyone that would be my partner, and as for finding a race partner, I can't see anyone, or any team that would want to work with a completely fresh racer until I have some kind of rep.

Well best of luck with it anyway, be good to see which route you go down. There's a lot of choice and you don't have to always spend a lot to get involved.

If you're a complete novice to racing then I'd suggest something like the FIAT Racing Challenge. Cars aren't heavily modified, it's got a good setup to help beginners and most of all FIAT parts cost peanuts... Even less so if you use your mates trade account to get them. To buy a car ready to race for that series will be £2,000-£5,000 depending on which class/spec' you go for, entry fees are good too from memory and it's really geared up to be he first step for people who don't have £100,000 to hand over to a Clio Cup team.

Maybe worth looking at ClubMSV Trackday Trohpy too, cars are in classes depending on BHP/Tonne so it's a very even playing field and most cars are eligible as long as they have four wheels and a seat plus the usual safety bits. It's been setup as a hlafway house between trackdays and full-on racing. Plus with the MSV backing you know it's going to be ran perfectly.

Something I got told a while ago was; Whatever you think you'll need for a budget, double it for your first season.

Maybe think about doing an arrive and drive first to see how you get on before buying a car outright?