Clio 197, sell it to me!

Hi all,

I currently have a Fiesta ST and as much as I love it, it has always been missing something for me.

Within the next 12 months, it's going to need a fair chunk of cash spending on it. Namely new brake discs, pads and tyres all round, plus a major service is due. No biggie, these are running/maintenance costs so to be expected.

I would also like to do some track days next year, but the ST would need some upgrades to the suspension and brakes before I'd want to go out on track with it. Which means spending more cash!

So rather than throw a load of money at a car I'm not a 100% about, I've been looking at 197's. They seem to be such good value for money at their current price, especially considering how well specced they are as standard.

In an ideal world, I'd like a 200 but with my budget (<£7k) it's out of the question for the foreseeable. Next best thing the 197?

So yeah just looking for you guys to sell it to me lol! :jase2:

Last edited:
You've come to the right place for a biased view - the wrong one for a balanced view! :tongue_smilie:

In all honesty, I had a MINi Cooper S for four years.... I've had this 7 weeks and love it more already. It's much more precise to drive which suits me perfectly as I'm a keen karter and need a good front end on a car...

The 197 and 200 are near as makes no difference the same so don't worry about budget. Your choice should be whether you go for a Cup version (basic interior and spec but better handling and brakes), a Full Fat version (higher spec, softer ride) or find something like and R27 or Ltd edition model with both!

Hope that helps bud

Mike

Brakes are identical between Cup and Non-Cup cars, the only difference is the colour of the Caliper itself. :smile:

The ST is a good car, imagine that same kind of drive but faster, sharper and with some steroids thrown in for good measure and you won't be far off the Clio.

Thanks for all your comments guys!

The clio has two things going for it as a track imo, the chassis and the brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38i-BmBivPQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It isn't that fast in a straight line but if your happy to maintain cornering speed and brake very late they're a massive hoon. Make sure to get the cup chassis though otherwise it'll feel too soft on track.

In fairness, it's the chassis and the brakes that attract me to the car. Something that's going to be fun chucking round the bends! It certainly looks that from seeing your video :thumbsup:

Question re. the cup chassis. Am I right in thinking this is just springs/dampers? Effectively meaning it could be retrofitted to a non-Cup model?

You've come to the right place for a biased view - the wrong one for a balanced view! :tongue_smilie:

In all honesty, I had a MINi Cooper S for four years.... I've had this 7 weeks and love it more already. It's much more precise to drive which suits me perfectly as I'm a keen karter and need a good front end on a car...

The 197 and 200 are near as makes no difference the same so don't worry about budget. Your choice should be whether you go for a Cup version (basic interior and spec but better handling and brakes), a Full Fat version (higher spec, softer ride) or find something like and R27 or Ltd edition model with both!

Hope that helps bud

Mike

So is the difference between the two (197 and 200) not that noticeable? Other than the slightly iffy front-end :tongue_smilie: ....which I actually quite like!

Looks amazing! Sadly, I'd have to sell the ST first, but that's exactly what I'd be looking for. R27 would be my choice, especially as they all have the Recaro's which would be a must for me, love them.

Brakes are identical between Cup and Non-Cup cars, the only difference is the colour of the Caliper itself. :smile:

The ST is a good car, imagine that same kind of drive but faster, sharper and with some steroids thrown in for good measure and you won't be far off the Clio.

That's good to know! I just want to improve on what I've got really. I could mod the ST, but to get it anywhere near a 197 I'd have to spend a considerable amount. Just not worth it!

Thanks again all :smile:

Last edited:
Cup chassis is also ARBs so springs damper AND arbs so much better to get one with it imo as in reality you then have a car that is quite capable of the track work. I've only started to consider changing anything now 2+ years later having started using R888's as it isn't really set up quite right to get the most out of true track tyres.

Difference between the 197s and 200 are mainly some engine/manifold fiddling and mapping to get some more low end torque. Chassis wise the cup chassis on the 200's is stiffer all round than that on the 197.

I'd suggest signing up as a member though as there's a large buyers guide somewhere and lots of how to's etc. that will give you a lot more info :wink:

p.s removing the decals would be blasphemy :tongueout: sorry but it would :smiley:

Hi Tommo, I came from a Fiesta ST and can safely say the 197 is so much better! I bought a liquid yellow R27 in March and I think the first thing I noticed was the brakes, you really can't fault the Brembos!

As mentioned above, the straight line speed is anything to shout about compared to the Fiesta but its everything that comes with the Clio that makes it so much better!

Are you registered on FiestaSTOC?

Cup chassis is also ARBs so springs damper AND arbs so much better to get one with it imo as in reality you then have a car that is quite capable of the track work. I've only started to consider changing anything now 2+ years later having started using R888's as it isn't really set up quite right to get the most out of true track tyres.

Difference between the 197s and 200 are mainly some engine/manifold fiddling and mapping to get some more low end torque. Chassis wise the cup chassis on the 200's is stiffer all round than that on the 197.

I'd suggest signing up as a member though as there's a large buyers guide somewhere and lots of how to's etc. that will give you a lot more info :wink:

p.s removing the decals would be blasphemy :tongueout: sorry but it would :smiley:

Good to know! Thanks for your help mate :jase2:

Think I'll be going for an R27, thought they might have been slightly over my budget but looking at the links you guys posted I could get one for 7k no problem.

Haha, so I take it I wouldn't be very popular here if I removed the decals? :chair:

Am I right in thinking a remap would aid some what in improving the 197's low down torque?

And yeah, I'll get paid up as a full member before I start looking at them :smile:

Hi Tommo, I came from a Fiesta ST and can safely say the 197 is so much better! I bought a liquid yellow R27 in March and I think the first thing I noticed was the brakes, you really can't fault the Brembos!

As mentioned above, the straight line speed is anything to shout about compared to the Fiesta but its everything that comes with the Clio that makes it so much better!

Are you registered on FiestaSTOC?

Think I may have saw your project thread over on FiestaSTOC actually!

I am on there, just don't tend to post much. Username is the same as on here.

Nice to get an opinion from someone who has made the same move :thumbsup:

In terms of straight line speed, I was thinking it would be on the same sort of level as an ST with the Mountune 185 kit?

How would you say the handling is in comparison?

I have never driven a MT 185 so all I can say is that the Clio needs to be pushed to get the most out of it, its certainly not slower than a 185 anyway.

The handling is better in the Clio mate, its pretty much a track car as standard whereas the ST needs money spending on it to make it handle better. Have a good test drive on one and you will fall in love, I was lucky enough to have my test drive on my own so didnt have to worry about the salesman next to me lol

I have never driven a MT 185 so all I can say is that the Clio needs to be pushed to get the most out of it, its certainly not slower than a 185 anyway.

The handling is better in the Clio mate, its pretty much a track car as standard whereas the ST needs money spending on it to make it handle better. Have a good test drive on one and you will fall in love, I was lucky enough to have my test drive on my own so didnt have to worry about the salesman next to me lol

In fairness, I love my ST so if it improves on it then I'll be happy :smile:

Was that with a main dealer mate? Everytime I've test driven a car, it has always been a quick 5 minute drive with the salesman sat next to me. Not really enough time to make an informed decision!

I have spotted a 197 Cup for-sale at a 'car supermarket' about 30 miles a way. Tempted to go and ask for a test drive to see what I think. Hate to waste peoples time though. I'm not really in a position to buy one at the minute but don't want to sell my car then drive one and decide its not for me.

It was a Renault dealer but a small one in Stoke, just threw me the keys and said dont go too far :smiley: (so drove home and hid it ever since)

Where are you based? Im sure someone will take you out for a spin in theirs to give you an idea.

It was a Renault dealer but a small one in Stoke, just threw me the keys and said dont go too far :smiley: (so drove home and hid it ever since)

Where are you based? Im sure someone will take you out for a spin in theirs to give you an idea.

Haha, fancy doing it again and getting me one? :smiley:

I'm in Leicester, might stick a thread up and see if anyone's willing to for a few quid.

+1 on what Chris said, I'd happily take you for a spin if you're ever in/around Manchester. :smile:

I'm sure there'll be a few people around you neck of the woods.

Heres an F1 local to you and in budget.

It'll be fine on track as it is, get used to it for a while and you'll be fine.

It'll be ages before you want to upgrade.

You can also get whats called an FF (full fat) with the cup pack for best of both worlds.

Last edited: