Clio 197 replacement xenon headlight

Newbie looking for some help (excuse the lack of knowledge).

Firstly my car is a Renaultsport Clio 197 06 plate. Had some damage to the n/s front headlight unit and it needs replacing (exterior housing was cracked and shattered). Took it two garages I trust and having problems getting a replacement unit. Brand new units from Renault a.) cost a fortune and b.) supposedly don't even fit as they have been modified (?) something to do with the ECU. This despite the car having no mods since purchase. So the advice was find a replacement unit from a breakers.

Found a couple of units but I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the 197 Clio 06 likely to be HID? Breakers tell me they wouldn't be provided the originals aren't HID with the washer jets in the bumper (which they aren't).
2. Does the advice about the ECU sound right? Two breakers tells me the units don't even have an ECU as they not HID units?
3. How difficult is fitting the whole unit? Again difference in advice I am getting.

Any/all advice welcomed.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like this is regular topic of conversation.

Update is that I do have the HID units. Garage tells me the new headlight from Renault has a modified ECU that doesn't fit in the slot in the bottom of the light. Also, the light housing is black (not silver) presumably confirming that I have the xenon headlight.

So, any ideas where I can get hold of a n/s replacement HID unit. Presumably an older unit not from Renault that won't be modified and therefore unable to fit.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused now mate.

Has your car got washers on the bumper? If no then you haven't got xenon since all cars with xenon come with them.

Are your headlights like these?

19363935351_f303ef89d5_b.jpgDSC_0201 by YiannisR27, on Flickr

When you turn the lights one does it take a few moments for the lights to reach full intensity? You might have projector headlights with an HID fitted, loads of cars are like that.

Any pics?